Friday, October 7, 2005

The Boy and The Office

TDH (tall, dark & husband) is off to be with his Dad today so I have taken The Boy (8 months) to the office. He is supposed to be napping… he is not and has not. I am now at the point where that is actually good news because he has been relatively happy (enough for me to get the bulletin done) and may soon actually nap giving me more time to write sermon (er,blog).

He has been here before with me and I am struck by the operetta that plays underneath everything I do and say while he is here even while I am on the phone. The words do not match exactly, but the tone and intensity is similar to the overture from the Barber of Seville.

It starts when I walk through the door:
CHORUS: Here is my munchkin. He’s a cute munchkin. Yes, hello I’m here, but I am with my munchkin. Yes, I know he’s cute and I am so glad that he has been properly adored by you but now we must go work.

Please play nicely. How about the pak n’ play? It has some toys in it already that I should probably switch out. Oh well, I’m here now and so hopefully you will be happy with this stuffed frog…that is for 3 month olds… and has God knows what growing on it…

CHORUS: Here is my munchkin. He’s a cute munchkin. Yes, hello I’m here, but I am with my munchkin. Yes, I know he’s cute and I am so glad that he has been properly adored by you but now we must go work.

I’m not sure if this parishioner would be ok with my munchkin being here even though he is so cute. Part of me wants him to babble cutely and part of me wants him to be very, very quiet.

He is quiet! What a good munchkin. I love him so much. He is being perfect. Time to work on the bulle… what’s that smell?

CHORUS: Here is my munchkin. He’s a cute munchkin. Yes, hello I’m here, but I am with my munchkin. Yes, I know he’s cute and I am so glad that he has been properly adored by you but now we must go work.

Could it be? Maybe not. Yet deep down I know that I do not randomly smell this, it must be true… Step away from the computer and go change a diaper!
GROSS!!! What do we have here? It is disgusting! And now I think a bit is on the carpet. Where are you going? I am not done wiping. Where am I going to throw away this disgusting treasure?

CHORUS: Here is my munchkin. He’s a cute munchkin. Yes, hello I’m here, but I am with my munchkin. Yes, I know he’s cute and I am so glad that he has been properly adored by you but now we must go work.

All is calm now. He is sleeping. I have time to work on all my important duties. How are my revgalblogpals doing? Is there something new there? I really should post before they think I have disappeared. Now is perfect since the munchkin is finally sleeping.

EVERYBODY NOW:
Here is my munchkin. He’s a cute munchkin. Yes, hello I’m here, but I am with my munchkin. Yes, I know he’s cute and I am so glad that he has been properly adored by you but now we must go work.

4 comments:

reverendmother said...

The few times I was able to bring C to the office, and she actually cooperated and I could get work done, were totally wonderful.

apstraight said...

I remember it NEVER working the way I had imagined when I was pregnant... How funny that I ever thought it would work?

Thank you for sharing the chorus...
BTW, I'm a Charlie Brown...

Songbird said...

I'm so glad my kids are older.
But during The Princess's TWO sick days this week, it was very difficult to work at home because she WOULD NOT STOP TALKING. I should be glad she's talking to me, but I'm going to be spending Saturday writing my sermon.

the reverend mommy said...

You make me want another one.....
I miss those days. I love little baby heads and kissing little baby necks. Sigh.