Friday, December 2, 2005

RevGalBlog Pals Friday Meme - Christmas Edition

1) Do you display a nativity scene, and if so, where?
We actually have numerous nativity scenes. I realize it is a bit cliché to be a minister and collect nativity scenes, but that is not how it started. In fact for a few years there I actually argued that I didn’t collect them… but when you start running out of places to put them it is time to admit you have a problem.

Growing up we had two scenes. One was fancy and “not to be touched”. The other was wood and specifically put in a low place for curious little hands. I will do the same for our child(ren?), but have not purchased a true children’ s nativity scene yet.

At our current location we have deep window sills so there are scenes throughout the house. However, my favorite is hanging on the Christmas Tree. It is small, but has 9 pieces including sheep and cow and angel and wise men, etc… It is fun every year to find a way to hang all of the characters of the scene within the confines of the tree branches - front and center, of course.

2) Do you put a skirt under the Christmas tree? If so, what does it look like?
We do, but it is ugly. I hate it. Unfortunately 'tree skirt' never gets too high on my “to buy for Christmas” list. I am big on buying Christmas decorations AFTER Christmas when they are cheaper and of course by then the pretty skirts are gone.

3) Do you hang lights on the house or put them in your windows?
We have candles year long in our windows. TDH is in charge of the outside of the house. He usually uses a variety of spotlights, wreaths and the occasional light strings to decorate.

4) White lights or colored lights on the tree? Big bulbs or the small, pretty ones?
I like white lights better, but we have more colored lights and our artificial tree (it kills me to type that) needs excess lights in order to look good.

TDH does have one string of the retro big bulbs that he drapes around our backyard porch roof. They are sad, but make him happy - so be it.

5) Do you have a tree topper? What sort? Who puts it on top of the tree?
No tree topper. Had a star as a kid and I remember this was the only time my father of Jewish heritage and long, blue collar working hours would step in and help decorate the Christmas tree.

Please stay tuned for my post on not using the word 'Christmas' in stores.

1 comment:

Songbird said...

I can hardly wait for it!
What I didn't say on my blog is that we supplement the wooden set with pieces from sets that did not survive the test of time. A few lambs here, an angel there, and we have a totally messy and charming (to me) set.