Friday, May 19, 2006

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Words

Please tell us five words you had to think about really hard before saying them out loud for the first time, or that you discovered you had misapprehended when someone corrected your pronunciation.

1) Sean. You know, the name Sean which most folks pronounce 'Shawn' but I always read as 'Scene'. How was I supposed to know that? By the way there is now a Major League baseball player who does pronounce it'Scene' and I just don't think his parents knew either.

2) Celtic. I was WAY too old when I corrected someone who properly pronounced it 'Kel-tic'. I told them the correct way was 'sel-tic' before I could even stop the words from coming out of my mouth. Seriously, if a basketball team is your main point of reference for how to pronounce something (and the person you are talking to just came back from Ireland) it might be a good idea to just keep your mouth shut.

3) 1 thru 3 from sunday, sundae, sunday's list. Halcyon = hal-ick-on... really?

4) Beautiful. A bit of a different take on the meme but I still rely on the written form of Flossie Bobbsey's exclamation when something was pretty. I think Laura Lee Hope wrote it something like 'bee-ay-utiful!" I rely on that to this day to remind me that it is spelled: b-e-a-u-tiful. (By the way the 'Flossie Bobbsey link' takes you to a book with the pictures of Bert, Nan, Freddie and Flossie on the cover and I just want you all to know that is NOT what they look like in real life. ..er, in my mind. Just thought you should know.)

5) Sixth. I cannot say this word. Bonus wrong word: I only recently learned that the word is 'flesh' not 'flush' as in "I want to flesh out all the possibilities..." So now I really hear it when other people say 'flush'.

No comments: