Sunday, January 28, 2007

Carillon, CarillOFF

When we moved here the church had a carillon, circa: 1974 (1864?). The 'tapes' that went in it were warped and there were no replacements; not on ebay, Craig's list, or from the company (which was now just one retired guy in the assisted living part of the local nursing home). Eventually the time mechanism got so screwed up on it that I won the unspoken argument to shut 'er down. It was unspoken because I did it and when one person questioned why, I handed them the manual and encouraged them that if they could get it to work they should.

I thought I was safe from superflous serenades for the rest of our time here for what small, rural church would spend hard to come by funds on supposedly soothing air pollution? The answer of course is, this one!

Over $1000 was spent on a digital noise maker with over 1,ooo songs and a satellite system that keeps it running on time. The monitor is nicer than mine. The problem is that the guy who knows how to program it - I REFUSE to learn - is very busy and we are currently on a rotation of about 10 songs. The thing chimes every hour and plays little diddies at 9, 12, 3 and 6.

If I hear Here I am Lord one more fireplacin' time, there is going to be heck to pay. And if Onward Christian Soldiers wakes me up from one more nap I am going to go over to all of the people's houses who love it so much - those who are nowhere close to being within ear shot - and I am going to sing Amazing Grace outside of their window as loud as I can at 3 in the morning.

Empty threats? Just try me.

11 comments:

Sue said...

Please be sure to get some video of the 3 am serenades!

My former church had a carillon. Ugh. We used to get countless complaints from the people in the neighourhood - they REALLY didn't appreciate it.

Thankfully, all is quiet in my present church.

If you learned how to program the new and offensive diddie-maker, perhaps you could also learn how to "mess up" (oops!) the program so it didn't play at the right times. Or at all. Not that I would do such a thing, no no, but I'm just saying....

Songbird said...

Is it a digital Carillon? Because my folks have asked me to look into updating ours...

will smama said...

It is digital... it also plays cd's which is VERY tempting. Oh the fun that I could have!

As for the neighbors, I have heard from two - both of them are glad it is back.

I will also begrudgingly add that at Christmas time I liked it.

ppb said...

I hate carillon. And we even have a real one that requires actual students to climb up there and pull actual bells. And I still hate. it.

more cows than people said...

laughed out loud. just when i think things here couldn't be more annoying you bring me some helpful perspective. hope it breaks! or that you get creative with the c.d. function!

St. Casserole said...

I think these things are noise pollution. Real pealing bells from a bell tower---that's different.

I sick of noise/music everywhere I go.

Some of us are audio sensitive.

Go pour a Diet Coke into the mechanism.

Crabby and Quiet I am.

Purechristianithink said...

Can you figure out how to connect it to the shuffle function on your ipod?

will smama said...

pcit, I LOVE that idea and Gord yes, it does sound very good. Some of the tracks were even recorded at the Crystal Cathedral. We just need to add some variety and I wonder if I could get them to only play the diddies on the weekend or on Sunday.

will smama said...

I am about to go unplug it.

Lorna said...

hope you did :)


this thing must have an off button :)

mary beth said...

It plays Here I Am, Lord!? you must be joking!

that just hurts me to think about.