Friday, January 5, 2007

RevGalBlogPal Friday Five: Birthday Redux Edition

1. "It's my party and I'll [blank] if I want to..."Favorite way to celebrate your birthday (dinner with family? party with friends? a day in solitude?)
Not sure there is an answer to this. I have done a variety of things. Last year I went out with two women from church after our kids went to bed. The idea was to get drinks and eat appetizers. We placed our order of 2 beers (me - it was Happy Hour) and 2 Sprites (one was pregnant and one was dieting). After I gave them a LOT of grief for being lame, we went on to having a pretty decent time.

2. "You say it's your birthday... it's my birthday too, yeah..." Do you share your birthday with someone famous? (Click here to find out!)
Drew Carey and Jewel... and Rosemary Clooney which is officially the closest I will ever get to her nephew, George.

3. "Lordy Lordy look who's forty..."Milestone birthdays:
a) just like any other birthday--they're just numbers, people.
b) a good opportunity to look back/take stock
c) enjoy the black balloons--I'll be hiding under a pile of coats until the day is over
d) some combination of the above, or something else entirely.

a... with a touch of d. TDH is 5 years older than me so I have already done the cheering/the don't worries/the 'it's just a number' bit so when it gets to me I have to practice what I preached.

4. "Happy birthday, dear... Customer..."Have you ever been sung to in a restaurant? Fun or cringe-worthy?
Oh yeah. When I turned 21 I was given quite the gyrating song and dance by the group of waiters at a Florida beach eating establishment. They were really hot and really knew what they were doing so granted they were also really gay but really... who cares.

5. "Take my birthday--please"Tell me one advantage and one disadvantage about your particular birthday (e.g. birthday in the summer--never had to go to school; birthday near Christmas--the dreaded joint presents)EDITED TO ADD: This could also simply be something you like/dislike about your birthday (e.g. I like sharing a birthday with my best friend, etc.).
My birthday is in late May so I have had a few opportunities to combine it with graduation parties - a pretty cool thing. The day I turned 21 was also '3 for Thursday' night at a local eating establishment. It was also the last day of Finals at my college. That was not a bad combination. I also had quite the birthday/seminary graduation party.

The one year it was a disadvantage was the year it fell on the same night as prom. I was 16 and a sophomore. I had been invited by a senior, but my parents wouldn't let me go... then they forgot it was my birthday.


Worse, Matthew Schoeffling did NOT show up.

7 comments:

reverendmother said...

"Parents forgetting a birthday? They live for that shit!"

OK, the line was "grandparents," but still.

ppb said...

How dare he!

ppb said...

I just wikipediaed him, since I had no idea who he was, and discovered that he has retired and lives a scant few hours from you. There is still a chance.

Listing Straight said...

Oh man. I'd be happy for someone to forget my birthday if he would show up. Maybe we could start stalking (um, I meen looking out for) him. Retired?

1-4 Grace said...

Sweet 16 and no party and no date?
Ugh....so sad.

Anonymous said...

welcome home! No sweet 16....no prom....so sad.

Sue said...

Aw, that's harsh. But at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that by sharing Rosemary Clooney's birthday, you are practically related to teh George.