Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Like a Kid at Willy Wonka's

Last night as a reward for a good work out AND cleaning the bathrooms (I find a perk of letting them get gross is that they REALLY look nice and shiny once you finally do clean them - TDH does not wholeheartedly agree with this strategy) ANYWAY as a reward for such brilliant behavior I sat down to channel surf.


Eventually it seeped into my tired brain that rather than 30 channels to surf I was now surfing 50-60 channels. Whaaaa? As proud subscribers to the second tier of available Kountry Kable Channels (Khannels?) I was a bit perplexed.


Turns out that Kountry Kable is upping their prices and getting rid of our beloved second tier. Worse (for us) they have taken ESPN out of the first tier and replaced it with Home Shopping Network (not a fan). So in 13 channels you get 4 networks, Fox, Headline News, Fox News, CW, UPN, Spike, PBS, HSN and the community channel. BLECH!

Initially we thought that for just $20 you get the 50-60 channels but as we were falling asleep last night we both realized that no it is $20 MORE!

Scintillating post so far, right? Sorry. All of that was really to say that we have paid through June and while we continue to discern just how many cable channels we 'need' we now have over a month to enjoy:

Last night we stayed up way too late watching Comedy Central and VH1 (because I NEEDED TO KNOW the top 10 hottest videos of all time).

12 comments:

LadyBurg said...

So what is the hottest video of all time? I'm dying to know!

Girl said...

What's even worse is when you get a DVR and you can record the programs and watch them at your leisure. Have to get up during a 6 hour marathon of I-Love-the-80's? No Problem...just hit pause and come back when you are ready.

So. Dangerous.

Susie said...

Dangerous... but Oh. So. Awesome.

I heart my DVR. Especially when the Gilmore Girls series finale falls during a vestry meeting!!

Listing Straight said...

And Law & Order. All. The. Time.

And I heart Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert for helping me laugh when most of the time, quite frankly, the state of the world scares the hell out of me.

Michelle said...

We've surrrendered on the cable front entirely and my kids get their TV fix by the episode from iTune (my spouse, too). Downside: no ESPN and this is occasionally (football season and the Olympics) a cause for spousal distress (but not so much that he's wanted to get the whole kit and kaboodle from our local cable purveyor)....

mompriest said...

A few years ago I cancelled all the premium channels and we live with just the basics...and for that we pay $80 per month. It's astonishing. I mean really. I think I could live with out cable, but my family. Not so much. Sigh. I do like the "on-demand" which means we can rent premium release movies whenever we want for less than Blockbuster (or whatever the big local chain of movie rentals is in your area)....

Good luck finding your happy medium...

ppb said...

cable tv makes me crazy. i still think tv should be free. of course, i also still think that 4 channels should be sufficient.

Karla MG said...

ppb! AMEN!!! As we are stressing over the need to buy new t.v.s by 2009! Ugh! And then digital service too? We have no cable, never have, don't ever really want to. By air, I get ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, Fox, TBN, WB, and most importantly PBS! I'm not enthused about having to go digital...I'm doing just fine with what I have. Thank.you.very.much.

will smama said...

karla - w/o cable we would get nothing. We've tried it. My Mom is convinced that cable companies spray something in the air since pre-cable days growing up our tv reception came in fine with 2 through 13. Once cable started suddenly our reception got poor.

It's a conspiracy.

Eventually the excitement will wear off and I won't "need" to check VH-1 just in case something absolutely vital is on.... you know like an actual music video, god forbid.

Christine said...

Our local cable provider is slowly turning the basic package into nothing but religious programming, everything from Joel Osteen to Louis Farrakhan to the Catholic network. It really is becoming a vast wasteland....

mompriest said...

Hey will smama, stop by my blog and see photos of my son on his way to prom...what you have to look forward too! (sigh)

will smama said...

I went over, but didn't see them mompriest (unless that's him in the wagon).