Thursday, July 19, 2007

Quotes

Family Quote
So far the best quote I have heard trying to explain why this is all really such a stunner comes from my sister. Someone was telling her that everyone has their dark side and she said, "You don't understand. This is as if Mr. Rogers had done this!"


Lyric Quote
Our situations are quite different obviously but I am getting a lot out of the Dixie Chick's Not Ready to Make Nice from their last album. Here's the chorus:


I'm not ready to make nice,
I'm not ready to back down,
I'm still mad as hell
And I don't have time
To go round and round and round
It's too late to make it right
I probably wouldn't if I could
Cause I'm mad as hell
Can't bring myself to do what it is
You think I should



This Sunday's Scripture Quote
I feared that preaching on gossip knowing what I know would be a bit too 'Dimmesdale-esque' (don't mind me as I invent a word) so instead of James I am going with a Psalm and 1 Peter.

Psalm 121
I lift up my eyes to the hills -
from where will my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.

The Lord will not let your foot be moved;
he who keeps you will not slumber.
The Lord who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord is your keeper;
the Lord is your shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
nor the moon by night.

The Lord will keep you from all evil;
the Lord will keep your life.
The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in
from this time on and forevermore.

I Peter 1:3-9
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy he has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who are being protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, even if now for a little while you have had to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith - being more precious than gold that, though perishable, is tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Although you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you belive in him and rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy, for you are receiving the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.


Board meeting tonight. I'm tired already.

21 comments:

Mrs. M said...

I am simply wild about that particular song. Hang in there.

Preacher Mom said...

Still holding you tightly in my prayers. Hang in there.

Quotidian Grace said...

It's ok to be mad and angry.

You're smart to go with the alternative scriptures Sunday.

Blessings.

cheesehead said...

You are dealing with a very sh*tty thing with grace and dignity and wisdom.

Anger works, too, and I love that song!

*[
]*

Listing Straight said...

What they all said--
I agree-

Purechristianithink said...

Great song for the situation. And good call on the scriptures.

Lorna (see through faith) said...

Mr Rogers with a dark side. Mmmm

Keep rocking sister and I love the 1 Peter it is so encouraging - cos when God's spirit comes we are renewed and the old is gone. (hurts remain and there are still consequences ) but He gives us bravery to step forward again.

I think you've been being renewed by the Spirit of God throughout this but I'm also glad you are still mad as hell - you should be - to be sinned against is rotten, but God uses it in us to make US better, stronger.

I think you'll pedal with fury come Saturday :)

xx

St. Inuksuk said...

Holding you close in prayer (((O)))
Ditto all of the above.
Be ever so gentle with yourself, it is a long journey, healing will come as well as resurrection. But for now, it is the hard, lonely, hurting, angry, grieving walk. Our Shepherd is with you every step of the way.

more cows than people said...

good calls all. belt that song. lots of prayers coming your way perpetually.

DogBlogger said...

Love what your sister said!

I'm guessing that during this process, you might also benefit from another few tracks on that CD... "Taking the Long Way," the "Lullaby" track for The Boy, "Bitter End..."

And, just maybe... "I Hope."

RevRosa said...

yes!

Teri said...

...what they all said. ]*

Mark Smith said...

Still here. Still praying.

You're strong - you'll get through it. Sunday and the difficult days ahead.

Magdalene6127 said...

The "Mr Rogers" quote could have been about my ex as well.

May you be angry enough, forgiving enough, and held in God's palm through all of it.

Mags

Serena said...

Amen and amen to what they all said!

LadyBurg said...

Love that Psalm. My favorite.

I'll be thinking of you tonight! Blessings.

]*

zorra said...

All of those quotes--the song and the scriptures--are spot on.
*[
]*

St. Casserole said...

what they all said. sending you a shoulder hit thingie

Reverend Dona Quixote said...

Praying for you all

Towanda said...

That song kicks ass. Rock on, WM. ]*

I'm keeping you in prayer.

mompriest said...

That song has held me up and sustained me through a great deal of pain in the last year. So glad it speaks to you too. And, she sings it so well! Listen well, and in time, all will be well.