Saturday, August 11, 2007

Another Little Thing

The stress post below asked what stresses you the most - the big or the little things. I need to start doing a study on if when you are under a big stress, the little things just seem more obvious and bigger or if in fact, a big stress turns the balance so decidedly to the bad side of things that little stressful things actually do start to add up.

As part of my case study I will include this morning when I woke up to quiet home since The Boy is at his grandparents. The humidity has broken so I set up a chair, coffee and a book outside under the big oak trees. I was there 5 minutes when the service that mows the lawn shows up.

They never show up on Saturdays.

So now not only is my moment interrupted, but I have to clean up the toys from the yard of course dropping the kiddie picnic table on my foot in the process. Also, the windows in the house now need to be closed as I am allergic to cut grass and already battling a cold complete with lost voice, headache and runny nose.

Eventually one of these seemingly little things is going to absolutely cause me to crack.

At least there is a movie featuring Teh Clooney on tv.

11 comments:

mompriest said...

As one who has been living with a big stress for a few years I can add to your study. The big stress definitely makes the little stresses seem BIGGER and suckier and relentless.... :-(

Sorry that your "perfect" morning dissolved into muck...I hope that you are able to enjoy the movie and that your cold relinquishes its hold on you....

cheesehead said...

Thank God for Teh Clooney.

Towanda said...

Your hunch is probably right about the little stresses seeming worse when there's big stress. That's my experience, too.

Curl up with the Clooney and let him nurse your cold...

Sue said...

Ah, teh Clooney saves teh day again.

Lorna (see through faith) said...

tell me, IF you had not been at home what would the provider have done about the toys? (grin)

hooray for the movie though ....

will smama said...

Well Lorna, I am sure they would have picked them up BUT then there would be no complaining on my part when The Boy's stuff was inadvertantly chopped up by the mower.

Michelle said...

Sigh...yes, when life is already loopy, the little weird things weigh more (this is some quantum physics thing, trust me!).

My day (the last of my vacation for the summer) did not go as planned, either.

esperanza said...

I don't understand this sentence "the humidity broke," but I am right there with you on the allergic-to-just-mowed-grass thing.

And I think you're right--when there's a big massive stress, the littler ones are worse.

Blessings.

The Vicar of Hogsmeade said...

You are completely right. And even though you didn't really ask for it, I'm stalling on the sermon prep and here's my not touchy-feely answer which fits very well with my Myers-Briggs designation of ENTp.

As a matter of fact, there's a well founded model often called ABC-X that very simply says: the more events experienced the more resources are used and when the resources are depleted there is a greater experience of stress. This theory from a study published as "Families Under Stress" by Reuben Hill and Elise Boulding. There has been further study of ABC-X and it is a part of the understanding of most family systems theories.

If this interests you, I can supply further studies/researchers. If not, please don't spam me, well, unless you really can get me a fortune from some other country

Mary Beth said...

I think the ABC-X model is extremely well named.

Just one more thing, and one more thing, and then X! that's it. Remember in A Wrinkle in Time how "IT" X'd things?

Here's the deal though...perfect love (Jesus, The Boy, etc.) wipes out X's. (sounds like an ad slogan)

Unfortunately, not on command, I guess. But that's one to hold onto.

will smama said...

The kitchen light burned out.

Fortunately, right before I started to painstakingly document all of these offenses I read about the ABC-X model - thanks VoH.