Friday, August 10, 2007

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Stress Edition

This week's Friday Five comes to us from Sally who writes, "...this weeks questions are looking at how you deal with the stress monster!!!???"
To which I must ask, of what is she referring to? What does it mean, this word 'stress'?

Riiiiiight.

Onto reality:

1. First, and before we start busting stress, what causes you the most stress, is it big things or the small stuff ?
This is a good question for me right now, as of course the BIG things in life are stressful to me right now but I have found I can handle them. Where I almost fall apart are the little things especially when they pile up and I already have a big (some might say massive) thing on my plate. Little things like: my favorite pen running out of ink, my third shirt of the morning getting a stain on it, being harrassed by a pastor with her own issues, finally sitting outside with a book and the kiddy pool ready to go and a storm moves in from nowhere... stuff like that can just about push me over the edge.


2. Exercise or chocolate for stress busting ( or maybe something else) ?
Exercise. Although after Ladyburg attempted to have her personal trainer turn my arms into totally ineffective noodles it was nice to relax back at her house with a brilliantly cold and tasty beer and a touch of dark chocolate. Actually what was REALLY delicious was the long, hot shower in her gorgeously re-done bathroom without a toddler constantly checking on my status.
3.What is your favourite music to chill out to?
I feel like I haven't found the answer to this yet, because my very small musical world is being opened up every day. I very well may have to stick to my answer from a previous Friday Five: The waves hitting the sand, the shells brushing together as the water returns from whence it came, seagulls calling in the distance, the laughter of a child discovering the way the cool water tickles as it dances over his feet.

4. Where do you go to chill?




5. Extrovert or introvert, do you relax at a party, or do you prefer a solitary walk?
Both. I am absolutely an extrovert and I enjoy a party... or probably closer to the truth, a group of friends gathered trying to make each other laugh as hard as possible.
But I also cherish solitary walks. In October we finally make it to the beach for a week and for part of that my Mom will be there to help with The Boy (she would say 'to hang out with The Boy') so I am really looking forward to being able to walk up and down the beach, taking deep, cleansing breaths of salty ocean air and listening to the music of the waves pounding and the sand squishing beneath my feet.

Bonus- share your favourite stress busting tip!
In a word: move.
I love to play a sport until I can't play no mo'. In college it was beach volleyball until we were literally dropping. Now it is harder to find a good volleyball game (it's bump - set - spike people, not attempt to hit it over the net - hit off that lady's shoulder - bounce out of bounds). So a hike on nearby trails with The Boy or racquetball with a friend or even a bike ride has to suffice.

A hot cup o' joe with a friend works too but it has to be on one of the comfy couches with no tv on.

21 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I am one of your rotten ineffectual volleyball players...but I will not even frustrate you by trying.

I will indeed set down with you for the coffee.

Yearning with you toward that beach time!

will smama said...

Let me just go on the record as saying that I am able to join in "rotten, ineffectual" volleyball games. I can have fun and not be a jerk about.

So if at the Big Event, you happen to be walking by the volleyball game, by all means please join in.

Mrs. M said...

Amen to #4.

1-4 Grace said...

Okay, I am impressed with the Beach Volley ball!
But, if you look as good as Misty May and Kerri Walsh in a two-piece, I am jealous!!!!
I used to think it was sexist for the women to have to wear the two piece, while the men wore tanks and shorts...way more flesh covred.
But, then I though, heck if I had their bodies I would wear a two piece too!
Good Play! Wish I could go for a nice walk on beach and then enjoy a beer. I love the new Corona commercial!

LadyBurg said...

Hope the noodles turn back into arms soon. I'll kick my trainer for you!

hipchickmamma said...

wonderful play!

i love your "chilling" music! beautiful!

big hugs!

Deb said...

I am such a beach person... although now the Alps and a jacuzzi have taken over my mind... sigh...

praying you through...

d

hip2B said...

Love volleyball, haven't played in years. I played pretty good in middle and high school and then everyone else got so tall!
I hope you and the boy get some stress-busting time

Michele R said...

Check this out: Back Unaccompanied Cello Suites, preferably by Yo Yo Ma.

They're almost as good as chocolate!

QuakerPastor said...

I'm up for some racquetball!
You could stop on your way over to the east coast beaches...

cpclergymama said...

love V-ball, but can't play because of bum knee. I'll gladly ref and keep chilled refreshments ready for all involved. I love the beauty of the ocean, too bad all that water gets in the way :)
Great play!

Rev Scott said...

Amen on the "extrovert/introvert" bit. I said I was an introvert on my post, but I think it's mostly because my circle of great friends is 400 miles away - if they were closer I'd be busting stress with them!

Rev Kim said...

Oh yes, the beach. There was nothing like sitting on the sand and hearing the waves crash and swimming in the salt water to calm my troubled soul. The mountains help too, but I still miss the vastness of the Pacific. *sighs*

Lorna (see through faith) said...

the beach. yes :) October's not that far away any more ...

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

ah yes coffee, chat, comfy couch and NO tv... CNN is the worst channel ever & it seems like it is playing everywhere... no tv. I agree. I'll put on the java... you gather the people... someone else can bring the couches. Is Ty Pennington available?

Shawna Renee said...

Great play!

mompriest said...

Love volleyball...but my pelvic floor muscles, especially those that support the bladder, well, they've stretched a bit since having children...so, I can volley, but NO jumping, it's just too embarrasing...(and I am really doing daily exercises to help, but alas, still no running, no jumping). Can I just volley?

(hey, don't laugh, wait until you hit 50, or 45)...(you'll see)...

Presbyterian Gal said...

I got as far as the being harassed by the other pastor bit and then totally derailed.

Hey MomPriest: You and me.....DEFENSE!!! I'm with you there. We'll be "volley girls".

Diane said...

there is something about being DEAD tired that is so relaxing... great stress buster...

DogBlogger said...

Nice play!

Volleyball was the only competitive sport I displayed aptitude for. And my school was too small to have a team! So, if there's a court at the Big Event, count me in!

will smama said...

Well, hot cup lutheran there is a news channel that is worse, but really any tv in those places messes with my mojo and mom priest that right there is why I am all about 2 words: c. section.