Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Sky is Falling

My driveway/the church parking lot in the early fall is supposed to look like this:



Instead, it looks like this:
Absolutely THICK with acorns and thanks to cars, pulverized acorns.

Here's a close up view:





There are some perks... you canNOT sneak into our driveway right now even by foot... even in the grass. That is comforting to know.

The downside? There is a great need to walk AROUND the trees for fear of getting knocked out by a rapidly dropping pellet-like object, if you are at all anxious about ANYTHING randomly but fairly consistently dropping acorns are not exactly good chill out music, even very large people can go skating across the parking lot when stepping on a large group of acorns. They are not to be trifled with.

The fun thing? Next year you will be able to count the acorns that fall from the trees on your hands. They dump every other year.

But I have never seen them unload like this.

14 comments:

LadyBurg said...

Well, shit, never seen anything like that! Its a squirrel's heaven or worst nightmare. Depends on how you look at it, I suppose.

reverendmother said...

So you've never seen them like this... hmmm, what is that about...

So the landscape is chaotic, inconvenient, and potentially dangerous right now... and yet within each acorn lies the potential for growth and new life.

This gaggy Hallmark moment brought to you by reverendmother.

will smama said...

Yes, RM - I purposefully ignored the poetic parallels to life but only mostly because it hurt my brain to try and come up with the words while I am still quite embedded in the nutty side of things so kudos to you for making the parallel that I was to worn out to do myself.

PK said...

Sometimes you feel like a nut... sometimes you don't!

Preacher Mom said...

If my grandmother were still alive she would be warning of a cold, cold winter . . .

Songbird said...

I'm so glad you posted a picture, because I didn't get how dramatic it was. Wow.

RevHRod said...

On the sappy poetic front, I remember a colleague once giving a brief homily on acorns. Something about them having to burst in order to turn into an oak tree. After a fire, there are lots of new saplings. The acorns withstand the fire and their seeds grow strong.

I know sappy. But the pictures and all the crap you've been through lately made me get a little goofy.

I do like the fact that they are providing you with a new form of home security. Has the Boy found something cool to do with them yet? They are so very collectable and fit nicely in a small hand.

Cathy said...

Either the squirrels are very very happy, or they have gone on strike or are on a diet.

Actually we had something similar happen with acorns -- but I don't think there were that many!

Identity Mixed said...

Had this whole sappy thing typed out and then my word verification was wwhirly. That for some reason seemed more fitting.

Wyldth1ng said...

Does the clean up crew get paid by the acorn?

Questing Parson said...

Warning! Down here a spinster slipped on such a parking lot and sued her church.

She won.

She's still a member.

Lorna said...

I love the picture and like SB hadn't really realised what you meant by loads.

Oaks are my favourite trees ...

Questing Parson's comment just made me sad. what's with the suing anyway? Crazy. And unfortunately it's growing here in Europe too.

Mark Smith said...

We have a big tree in front of the main entrance to the sanctuary. At the right time of the year, people actually run across the sidewalks to get inside without getting hit.

The ushers have to keep sweeping the acorns off the pavement - they're really easy to twist an ankle on.

will smama said...

The one in front of our Sanctuary drops even BIGGER ones onto our tin roofs causing quite the BANG!

I am sensing a theme - I shall sweept lest we be sued.