Thursday, November 29, 2007

Friday Five


Parishioners pushing for carols before you digested your turkey?

Organist refusing to play Advent hymns because he/she already has them planned for Lessons & Carols?

Find yourself reading Luke and thinking of a variety of ways to tell Linus where to stick it? (Lights please.)

Then this quick and easy Friday Five is for you! And for those of you with a more positive attitude, have no fear. I am sure more sacred and reverent Friday Fives will follow.


Please tell us your least favorite/most annoying seasonal....
1) dessert/cookie/family food
Ribbon candy. It seems like a good festive idea until you almost knock everything off the table because it has stuck to the antique dish and when you finally get it pulled off EVERYTHING comes with it and then you break off too big a piece and you end up drooling on your grandmother's couch... good thing it's covered with plastic.

2) beverage (seasonal beer, eggnog w/ way too much egg and not enough nog, etc...)
Eggnog. Blech.

3) tradition (church, family, other)
Well, for lack of another thought - poinsettias. They are pretty and all, I'm just over them.

4) decoration
Mistletoe. I mean really?

5) gift (received or given)
Stocking stuffers from a hotel bathroom. Just sayin'.

BONUS: SONG/CD that makes you want to tell the elves where to stick it.
Felice Navidad. The contest is over.

I know, I know.... pretty grumpy for November but why not get it out of our systems now so we are free to enjoy the rest of the festivities.

27 comments:

Listing Straight said...

Impressive play.
Thanks for the hosting.

cheesehead said...

So...you enjoying Advent yet?

~~cheesehead ducks~~~

Deb said...

I am not big on poinsettias either. But you forgot "Christmas Shoes"

d

Diane said...

ok, I forgot about ole "Feliz Navidad". You win.

Really really fun one.

Counselor in Process said...

I've always hated poinsettias, but did you know that you can use the leave as poison...just a point of information. ;-)

Cathy said...

I forgot about Feliz Navidad! Bleh.
Happy Advent.

Sally said...

lol- stocking stuffers from hotels!!!
Thanks for the chance to vent!

Songbird said...

Clearly, you haven't watched "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street." Or maybe you have. But for me Felix Navidad will always be inextricably linked with Bert and Ernie going ice-skating.

will smama said...

Christmas Shoes is also an abomination. I remember hearing that the first time and hoping it would get better.

It didn't.

Mrs. M said...

Tee hee. All grandmothers (of a certain generation) do the couch thing, this is great!

chartreuseova said...

A great Friday Five! I remember ribbon candy & the frustration...

RevHRod said...

The candy made me laugh out loud, interrupting Soda Chicky's watching of "Gilmore Girls" reruns. I got shushed severely. It was worth it!

RevDrKate said...

Oh great play!Except for the fact that I now have Feliz Navidad playing on endless loop in my head...arhhhhgggg!

mamaS said...

I don't know what ribbon candy is. Will someone enlighten me?

jill said...

You made me laugh out loud. The ribbon candy...HAHAHA!!!

Hedwyg said...

LOL - a great play!

Bah humbug! :-)
Hedwyg

Barbara B. said...

I think ribbon candy is a real tooth-buster!

Singing Owl said...

I'm so glad my Friday Five play made you LOL...and you returned the favor with the ribbon candy description....hilarious! And all totally true. I keep trying, because I love the look of the stuff.

Oooooh, that Christmas Shoes song IS bad. Forgot about that one.

Thanks for giving us an opportunity to grump a little before all the fa la laing.

Melissa said...

So I just read through some of your blog for the first time(shameful) and I just have to say - you are funny. And not just a "late-at-night-i'm-so-tired-i'd-laugh-at-anything" funny but a true wit that can carry its own no matter what hour of the day - even the God-forsaken 6 am hour. If i ever were up at that time to read it which God-forsake I should ever be.

So, thank you.

I am Chorus said...

Enjoy your reunion with The Boy tomorrow!

Rev Scott said...

AAAAAARRGH!!!!! SO PAINFUL, BUT SO FUNNY!

*resumes beating head against desk to exorcize "Feliz Navidad" from continuous loop*

Wyldth1ng said...

I think the eggnog is the universal no-no but whatI have seen from everyone. Thanks for a perfect Friday Five.

Sue said...

Preach it sistah!! I'm with you on all five, especially the egg nog. Who thought sharing salmonella for the holidays was a good idea?

leah sophia said...

hey, we're together on the ribbon candy, and i'm with singing owl on lovin' the looks of the stuff. thanks for an easy play and for posting early. be blessed!

RevAnne said...

I'm tellin' ya, it's a Snark demon. There's no cure, but chocolate helps!

Tripp Hudgins said...

I like the flowers...And your song, yeah. That's pretty bad. I agree.

will smama said...

Thanks Melissa - although you made Listing Straight gag.

I have run through a LOT of the Friday Fivers and we have some clearcut winners:

Food: Fruitcake
Drink: Eggnog
Decorations: Blow up lawn ornaments
Song: Little Drummer Boy, Christmas Shoes and Feliz Navi-crap