Monday, December 3, 2007

Not Drowned Yet

Thank you all for you kind thoughts and prayers and symbols. Yesterday I walked into church and there was the husband and youngest daughter (The Boy's age) of TOW1. Thankfully I had come in early to greet folks and so I had time to leave, gather myself (read: attempt not to throw up or pass out) and then go back in.

Later in the day while thinking that I had handled that latest hurdle reasonably well, the back of my front tooth chipped off. Seriously.... "thank you sir, can I have another."

Enough on that.

Today The Boy and I had a good morning as we hung out upstairs so I could get some things done. He was more than willing to do so because this meant eating cereal and juice while watching tv on Mommy's bed. I just don't know what other way to do it since by the time he goes to bed and is sleeping enough for me to rattle around up there, I am too tired to think let alone pick up clutter - blech.

Then we came downstairs and pulled out some Christmas decorations. He helped by hanging up a few and in one moment of designing genius placed a small stuffed Christmas bear on the branches. It sits there nicely and looks pretty darn cute! I never would have thought of that.

TDH then came to pick him up for awhile so I could get some other things done and he could spend some time with his son since he doesn't see him again until Wednesday. That seems to work out well because that way when I am with The Boy on my day off I am really 'with' him and not worried about all of the other things I need to do.

When TDH arrived he was shown The Boy's new trick of being able to open the fridge and use the water dispenser (heaven help us all) and then The Boy grabbed his backpack and his hat and said, "Let's go Daddy." With coat and hat and backpack he could have been going to Daddy's to play or heading back to college.

I know it speaks well of our parenting and the way we are handling this transition - not to mention The Boy's natural disposition - that he is able to make these adjustments from one parent to the other so smoothly. But I just hate that he has had to learn that life skill before even the tender age of 3.

Time to make dinner.
Peace, friends.

14 comments:

Songbird said...

I think you are, as we say at my house, fairly awesome.

cheesehead said...

What Songbird said.

Elaine said...

When Songbird and Cheesehead agree -- you know they're right.

Elaine
Norman, OK

more cows than people said...

yeah, you rock. glad today was better.

Althea N. Agape said...

but in a few years when it's always emppty you're going to regret that "opening the refrigerator" thing....

Rev Scott said...

I pray that as this works itself out you'll find yourself much more content about the "how we've handled this" part and less hurt by the "we made him do it before the tender age of 3" part - not because either one is untrue, but because letting what hurts fade and holding on to the good stuff is what makes life bearable.

LadyBurg said...

You are amazing. He's a lucky little guy to have you - as you are to have him. Although, you aren't a guy, but you know that so.....

The tooth thing simply sucks. Really sucks. Not needed on top of everything else. Sorry.

Cathy said...

I hate your tooth chipped/broke off. I had a part of a molar chip off last week :( Bleh.

You are doing amazingly well. What you experience echoes back to where I have been. Except you seem to be handling it with more grace that I did. Really and truly.

Kathryn said...

The Boy is so blessed to have a mum that handles things with your amazing grace (sorry - let's NOT burst into song there ;-) ) ... I'm glad you've found a way that works to do your day off, even if it has had to stretch to accommodate unexpected dental work.

Sue said...

What they all said more eloquently than I can. You're awesome.

RevHRod said...

I know you are paddling with all kinds of bravery, but sometimes I just want to take the paddle and smack the husband of TOW1 in the head. Sigh...

The Boy's life is different from what you imagined for him and that brings grief. But he is so clearly managing well. And you are so very clearly being a good and faithful parent.

Take care!

Lorna said...

erm what RevHod said with one minor change "I know you are paddling with all kinds of bravery, but sometimes I just want to take the paddle and smack your ex in the head.

It's not a question of what was he thinking - it is blatantly obvious he wasn't.

church should be a safe place - but it's made up of imperfect people - including me - that in itself makes it volatile. But still should he and the other family continue worshipping where you preside. I think not. Not if there is a viable alternative within spitting distance ...

hugs. You are awesome and I'm glad the boy is doing ok. wish it were easier for you ...

Singing Owl said...

It makes me angry too. But I, as other here have said, am so proud of how you are dealing with this fireplacing situation. I cannot believe that TOW1 family does not leave your church....unreal. I'd like to smack SEVERAL people with that oar. Thoughts and prayers.

Lorna said...

am I missing something - but TOW1's husband - isn't he a victim too?