Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Chemistry of Cooking

I did pizza from scratch again last night and learned the important lesson of olive oil. No harm, no foul but I did add a splash+ more of olive oil to the dough because for whatever reason it didn't seem moist enough to me while kneading it. On the other end of the cooking process this created a crust that was not quite as crunchy as last time and had a strong flavor of, you guessed it, olive oil. A 'hint' of olive oil is fun and makes one think they are a cooking genius. An olive oil flavor is just a bit much.
Still edible and the evening was overall a success.

My other problem is that through the holidays I had good coffee. I buy good coffee when guests are coming into town and then for Christmas I was given a coffee maker and so of course those who knew this was headed my way gave me more good coffee. And now it is gone. And I am 'stuck' with large kegs of 1/2 decaf Major Brand coffee and there are NO amount of scoops I can put in to make it stronger and better.
Sigh... Fair trade store here I come. I have become one of those drinkers that can tell what I drink and this. ain't. good.


On another note, sorry about the lack of posts this past week. It was a busy one. I will try to do better next week; a week which just may include me trading in one label for another. Have a great weekend!

11 comments:

Don Pardo said...

A 'hint' of olive oil is fun and makes one think they are a cooking genius. An olive oil flavor is just a bit much.

Don't come to Greece! :-)

(Ever had eggs scrambled in olive oil?)

Actually, I don't care for the taste of any oil other than that of the olive, but I know from experience that my Anglo friends do require a bit of an adjustment period before they can tolerate the hard stuff.

As you wrote about coffee, though, there is good olive oil and bad olive oil, and once you acquire a taste for the good stuff, you'll know the difference!

Costco sells a very nice and moderately flavored organic olive oil branded as "Star." If you're near one of their stores, give it a try. It's comparatively inexpensive.

Drew said...

See I thought all that olive oil would make it crunch-a-riffic! Like deep frying. Deep fried pizza. Market that. Someone will love it. You kiddin' me? America would fawn over it.

Something about fair trade coffee that Brenna and I learned this week. It's more expensive, a lot more expensive. Puts the slavery of the coffee farm workers into perspective. Sorry... I totally went from "crunch-a-riffic" to "slavery" in one comment.

So for the spirit of being joyful let me end with this word:

fudge-a-licious

Tatusko Family said...

Um. Wow Drew.

will smama said...

Drew, me thinks you had a tad too much of the free-trade, organic coffee... you're supposed to run hot water through it, NOT eat it straight out of the bag.

Just sayin'...

cheesehead said...

a week which just may include me trading in one label for another.

((((WS))))

Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

If you live anywhere near Trader Joes (or occasionally drive near one for big work trips) - stock up there!!! Thats what we do. Our favorite is the organic, fair-trade breakfast blend in the pretty blue and yellow canister. Mmmmmm.

Songbird said...

I would have loved eating pizza with you anyway. I guess it will be martinis on the Lido Deck instead?

KnittinPreacher said...

Is there a wegmans in your neck of the woods? From some of your posts I wonder if there might be. Anyway, thats where i am finding my fair trade organic coffee until church restocks. it's hidden in the "natural" section of the store. I also saw some at Target. Organic Fair trade coffee at Target. With the certifications and everything! Never thought i would see the day!

Listing Straight said...

Sorry. Sort of.
:)

]*

Kathryn said...

As Songbird says, any amount of good FT coffee and large drinks will be consumed in - goodness, something like 2 months time :-)
Meanwhile, continuing love and prayers - specially for the changes of the week ahead ]*

RevHRod said...

So sometimes you can fake yourself out by adding something to the bad coffee. A dash of cinnamon or nutmeg in with the grounds.