Monday, January 14, 2008

A Little Composure Please

In a jarring yang to yesterday's napping yin, I was standing over The Boy as he stood on his stool and washed his hands at the sink when for some reason he jumped. The resulting undercut to my jaw created: stars, the taste of blood in my mouth, a runny nose, watery eyes and a strong desire (rest assured, not fulfilled) to throw him across the room. My head still doesn't feel quite right.


In a more humorous injury story, while on the retreat with the governing body of my congregation this past weekend I broke my third toe by slamming it into a camouflaged bed frame (that is not the funny part). It really is not a big deal, just recently both mothers (reverend and laura) have suffered far worse toe damage.


In worship I couldn't wear a normal dress shoe, but when I accidently kicked the baptismal font on my way down to begin the communion liturgy I did need to take pause for my head to clear before continuing on. This is what I began to read:

We have all fallen short of the glory of God. We have hurt and been hurt, broken and been broken, alienated and been alienated, wronged and been wronged, sinned and been sinned against.
Now as this time reminds us of God’s grace, we bring to the Lord all the broken pieces of our lives and ask our loving Parent to continue to put them together and make us whole.


On the first hurt/broken combination I started to giggle. By "broken pieces" and "whole" I had to stop because I and the four elders in the front row were laughing.


Nice.


I took a deep breathe, explained to the congregation that I had broken my toe while on the retreat, let them know I was going to start the liturgy again and then I did.


And one final note, my leftover Chinese food fortune cookie tonight said:

You're transforming yourself into someone who is certain to succeed.


I will need to learn how to behave in church first.




16 comments:

Songbird said...

Lordy! Could this just stop?

Crimson Rambler said...

oh ouch! but I'm glad there was somebody to laugh with you!
and in my experience children ALWAYS jump when they're just under your chin. ALWAYS.

peripateticpolarbear said...

Lord have mercy and wrap this woman up in packing bubbles.

imngrace said...

Funny story--glad that you and others could laugh about it.
Obey the cookie!

ymp said...

Ouch!
However I'm not sure behaving in Church is actually necessary...

Sue said...

Oh, ouch!!!

Grace, Every Day said...

He set you up with the nap sharing, didn't he? Ouch. I know that feeling all too well - and the taste of blood, too! They just don't know their own strength...and it carries over into those emotional tugs as they grow up!

Hope your toe is better soon. Ironic, I have read two consecutive blogs wherein the top story was a broken toe. Must be going around.

Preacher Mom said...

Sorry about the toe and the chin injuries. However, I love your church story! What a hoot!

IdentityMixed said...

Nice. You and I need to go to a rubber room... but you'd catch my cold.

Kathryn said...

Please don't start behaving in church...I need others who are equally incapable of keeping a straight face about the place.
Hope assorted injuries heal rapidly.

St. Inuksuk said...

Naw, don't behave in church. Just be human. Just be yourself. We all need that and the example of that in our life of faith together.

St. Casserole said...

HAHAHAHA~! Great story! Sorry about the toesie but the scripture reading has me hooting with glee!

Reverend Dona Quixote said...

Ouch, willsmama.

When I was about the Boy's age, I broke my 16 year-old sister's nose in an act of love.

I ran and launched myself into her lap, whacking her with my [admittedly hard] head in the process.

She had to wear this plastic white splint thingy on her nose.

Our parents had just decided to allow her to date ...

May you be surrounded with a mantle of protection, especially your extremities.

RevHRod said...

Oh I love that boy! Having broken my toes more than once I am so sorry that you're having to do that hobble thing.

But PLEASE promise not to "behave yourself in church". As a pastor without a congregational parish I picked our current congregation because the pastor laughs when things are funny and dances about a bit when the hymns have a beat. I can't imagine being in a place where that didn't happen. Your laughter was a gift to the folks who were there.

Jiff said...

Oh! Oh!! Oh!!!
Bless your heart and your toes and your great sense of humor!

God_Guurrlll said...

Good humor, thanks for the laugh. I have to fight the urge to giggle most Sunday's. Especially when we have a bulletin error such as,

"I sin in joyful praise"

I will pray for God to pour God's packing peanuts upon to protect you.