Sunday, January 27, 2008

memory countdown.

No comments necessary, I just need to get these out... kind of like an exorcism.

Our first date was my great Uncle's funeral down in Miami. Seriously. We had talked on the phone quiet a few times and exchanged letters and then when my great Uncle passed and the funeral was going to be relatively close to where he lived (and one of those funerals that was going to be more family reunion at the yacht club than funeral) I asked permission and he was invited to come too. I still remember those funeral/wedding relatives asking us, "Soooo, how long have you two known each other?"
And us sheepishly looking at each other and saying, "Oh, a good three weeks now."

6 comments:

cheesehead said...

(o)

imngrace said...

I hope you'll hold on to some of the memories. When I look at my boy, I realize that it wasn't all crap---mostly, but not all.

peripateticpolarbear said...

Okay, you're going to think I'm a geek now. But I worked with a couple--visiting with both who were divorcing. Then they wanted a ceremony for it, which I did (I made it all up....nothing in the book of common worship for that one) where they returned their rings (which was just symbolic anyway, since they had agreed to melt both of them down and form pendants for both daughters with them, but still...)

And one of the things they did was each write a letter, outlining all the special memories-- that they didn't open, but put away someplace for their kids later, because they wanted their kids to know that just because it ended in divorce doesn't mean that they hadn't loved each other well. They wanted the kids to always know that they were borne out of love.

I didn't see the letters, but I can tell from what they said that it was really cathartic. It seems like this is what you're doing, in a bloggy way. It seems to me like this is a really good but sad thing to do.

Crimson Rambler said...

We actually have a service for the Ending of a Marriage. It's a lot like a funeral. I've done it once. Usually there is just half the couple there... but I do really like that writing-letters idea, I shall file it carefully.

will smama said...

I don't think TDH is healthy enough to do something like that. As for me, I can assure you I have no regrets. I would marry him again in a heartbeat. I do wish I had caught on to what was going on in his head sooner than I did but for 10 years I lived blissfully unaware that he was a ticking time bomb.

And I got me a cute little 3 year old to boot.

peripateticpolarbear said...

hey, and those 3 year olds don't grow on trees, you know!