Friday, January 18, 2008

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Good Book Edition




What book have you read in the last six months that has really stayed with you? Why?
Definitely Animal, Vegetable, Miracle written by Barbara Kingsolver and family. I am absolutely more conscientious about where my food comes from. Now, am I doing anything about it? Well, in a word: no. BUT, I have big plans and in my defense I am putting a lot of energy into just keeping it together over here and it is hard to begin your focus on eating local produce in mid-January.
One thing I have done, is made pizza from scratch - VERY fun - and I have plans to do that again very soon.


What is one of your favorite childhood books?


The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton: Thanks to my son I have had new reason to read this great book although he does not stand for me just sitting there and losing myself in the pictures... that day will come, I hope. He is really more into Katy the Snowplow and Mary Anne the Steam Shovel (and her buddy Mike Mulligan, of course).



Do you have a favorite book of the Bible? Do tell!

Ummm, depending on my mood it can be anywhere from Psalms to the Gospel of John to Habbakuk (really, I just like being able to say the word 'Habbakuk').


What is one book you could read again and again?

As an adolescent it was definitely Trumpet of the Swan by EB White and I am guessing I could do that again at this age. Sadly, I hardly have time to read nonwork things (or work things) so it would be rarer still for me to read something again and again.

Although I AM getting better at reading for just me. I am reading some Pym now in fact.


Is there a book you would suggest for Lenten reading? What is it and why?


Well, except for the fact that I heard he is recently touring his book again in a similar pattern as the Purpose Driven hubbub - and for some reason that bothers me - I would say Richard Foster's Celebration of Discipline.


16 comments:

Sally said...

I am with you on reccomending Richard Fosters book, and rather distrubed to hear he is touring with it...hey ho...well played btw.

peripateticpolarbear said...

You know, when I lived down your way, there was a sustainable living center thingy where I could have had fresh locally grown stuff every week. But did I do that? Nope. I sure wish I had. I've heard such good things about animal, vegetable mineral. I'll have to put it on my list to read.

IdentityMixed said...

My joy this week was the discovery that B&N takes Paypal. So I sell my crap on Ebay and immediately buy the books I crave. Rock on!

Sue said...

lol about Habbakuk. I always giggle when I get to say Deuternomony. Because I'm 12, and always will be.

Counselor in Process said...

I read Pym years ago, but now can't remember her first name? It was a mystery with two little girls-years ago. Virginia? Help me here.

DogBlogger said...

With you on Trumpet of the Swan. Just the mention of it makes me want to go read it now!

Rev Dave said...

Foster? Touring ala Rick Warren? Somehow doesn't ring true to me.
Yes, Foster does lead conferences (I'm biased, I attended one a long time ago and loved it) but it was nothing like ol' Hawaiian shirt.

see: www.renovare.org for his organization and his ministry.

RevHRod said...

Habakkuk.... too funny

Rev Scott said...

My confirmation kids would find the weirdest Old Testament names and ask me to read them out loud. Jehoshaphat. Abel-Mehola. Beulah. Yeah, I'm feelin' ya on Habakkuk.

I heard an interview on NPR with BK about the AVM book last year, and it inspired me to plan a garden for this summer. Looking forward to it.

Ruby said...

Jumpin' Jehosephat! Habbakuk and EB White in the same post.

Kievas said...

Great choices, especially the Kingsolver book.

Songbird said...

I just love to think of the two of you reading The Little House, such a beautiful book. Captain Kangaroo used to read it.

QuakerPastor said...

It SHOULD bother you about Richard Foster...He's a Quaker for gosh sakes! Love his book though...

Crimson Rambler said...

Barbara Pym...and Habbakuk IS a funny name. My favorite though is Maher-Shalal-Hashbaz...there is a cat with that name in a Dorothy Sayers short story...which in turn reminds me of the cat in "Gilead," who didn't get named Feuerbach. So much good stuff! Well played PPB. Every time I see those new itty-bitty power diggers I remember Mary Ann. The new versions would be just about the right size for The Boy, I think!

St. Casserole said...

Just passing through...

mzb said...

Ok...I am SOOOO with you on Trumpeter, The Little House AND AVM!! We must not be so different after all :)

I all excited that we have a co-op in the next town over that sells mostly local, organic food.

DH, however, is not so excited about the cost.

I have AVM on his list to read next, so hopefully he will become a convert.