Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Just Checking In

There is still no letter giving me the official date of divorce.

I am of course paralleling where I am now as opposed to a year ago quite a bit as this is when I started to note a major shift in TDH's personality just one year ago. Also this time last year I was checking the mailbox waiting for a yea or nay on a DMin program. Oh what a difference a year makes.

A lot of things around pregnancies going on around here. A parishioner is in the process of a miscarriage that no one knows about but me. Another friend is doing the same but under different circumstances. A dear friend had to deliver and her 2 lb son was only at 25 weeks gestation. He is alive and breathing well at this point.

I am watching another friend's 21 month old because she goes in for a c-section first thing in the morning. The most fun part about that will be dropping him off at TOW1's tomorrow evening. How many people will just happen to drive by when that exchange happens? Small towns...

I have a few members in the hospital and a couple of funerals to attend out of respect for the families. At least I am not doing them.

I found out the tape machine at church has not been working for awhile without anyone knowing it. If you can read between the lines, you can figure out why that is so important. Quickly we are trying to figure out another way to record sermons and I am trying to at least come off as being casual about it. I am hoping this Sunday to have a mp3 recording system in place so we can put the audio of the services online and make cd's... for the shut-ins of course.

TDH's Dad has given up on life and will most likely end his hold on this earthly kingdom within the week. His service will be in the same southern state that his wife's was and I will not be attending this one either. Unlike the m-i-l if it were up here I would probably actually go. He was at least outwardly supportive. And The Boy remembers him and mentions him occasionally.

What a legacy these two people have left - 5 boys. The eldest I have never met because he wanted nothing to do with them. Next one down escaped from them as soon as he could, married at 20 - 9 children. Next one down self-medicated bi-polar has left 5 children in his wake. Next one, fairly normal as far as I can tell.

And then the youngest, TDH. Undermined his entire life, never told how important he was or what he could do with his life; only was taught that when the going gets tough... the tough move.

And there was nothing my family, our friends, or I could do to change that.

damn.

14 comments:

esperanza said...

damn is right. You've got a lot on your plate; er, in your boat. Continuing prayers for you and the boy...and an extra one for the preemie--our 2 pounder is doing ok, but it's a long road.

Listing Straight said...

Wow.

Drew said...

Neither of us do the hug thing and you know that. But I would squeeze you till you hurt right now... And then give you a beer of course.

And as I am writing this two men are weeping hysterically on the Biggest Loser. I love life's little ironies.

Songbird said...

That's a lot, ws. A lot.

Towanda said...

(o)

Kathryn said...

No words but much love and continuing prayers

Mary Beth said...

Oh, WS. Egads.

And a beer.

Pink Shoes said...

wow.
and I'll second Mary Beth's offer. anytime.

Sue said...

]*

cheesehead said...

I'd hug you anyway.

But I'd try to keep it respectable so you wouldn't blog about it for eight months after... :)

peripateticpolarbear said...

Hmm....I tried to leave a comment here earlier, but I guess it didn't take.

Regarding the recording thing: if any of you has a traditional ipod (not one of the new tiny ones), you can buy a microphone for it for about 40 bucks. They sell them on Amazon. They record rather well, and I have made many sermon CDs with them. And, um, if you don't want to be really obvious about recording, it's easy enough to just put it inside the pulpit...nobody would know it was there.

Magdalene6127 said...

(((WS)))

RevHRod said...

On the whole secret taping of sermons- do other people need the whole service or just the sermon? Could you sneak into the sanctuary and just preach to a recorder that's sitting in front of you? I know it's not the same thing....

Blessings on all the bits and pieces of life.

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

Just one, really deep question:

How do you know when to let go?