Friday, February 15, 2008

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: The Water and the Word Edition

In this Sunday's gospel Nicodemus asks Jesus, "How can anyone be born after having grown old? Can one enter a second time into the mother's womb and be born?" Poor old Nicodemus! He was so confused about the whole "water and Spirit" business of baptism.
For today's five, tell us about your baptismal experiences.
When and where were you baptized? Do you remember it? Know any interesting tidbits?
In my home church. I don't remember mine, but I remember my sister's. I remember feeling her wet head on the way back to the car (I am five years older).

What's the most unexpected thing you've ever witnessed at a baptism?
A baby sleeping right through it. Usually they rouse even just a little bit. I had one that slept like a ROCK.

Does your congregation have any special traditions surrounding baptisms?
Well, I walk whoever was baptized around and if it is a baby and they are in a good place I hand them off to a few congregation members to help illustrated the point that this baby is all of ours now. I also do what my congregation calls, "the Lion King" - where at the end I hold the baby up at the front, over my head and say, "John Adam Smith, beloved child of God."

Are you a godparent or baptismal sponsor? Have a story to tell?
Nope. Nope.

Do you have a favorite baptismal song or hymn?
Nope.

13 comments:

RevHRod said...

I love that you let other people hold the baby too. And no,I don't consider that my computer was baptized as the only words used along with the water were ones like, "Oh crap!" ;-)

Rev Scott said...

I've done the Lion King thing, too, maybe not completely over my head, but I always present the child with something similar to those words.

People of another generation might have called it the Kunta Kinte moment. :-)

Sue said...

Love the Lion King thing. I don't usually do the walking around thing in my present church. To do so, I would have to carry the baby down several stairs from the chancel. In pumps. And an alb.

I'm *terrified* of dropping babies. I do invite the parents to make their way back to their pew via the centre aisle so everyone can oooooh and aaaaaah.

Mark Smith said...

A few months' back we had a baby who babbled through the whole baptism. LALALALALALALALALALA

My pastor suggested that maybe he had a future as a preacher.

cheesehead said...

I do the walkabout and the Lion King. I say, "See what a miracle love has wrought, that we should be called the sons and daughters of the living God, and we are."

Sometimes I even get through it without my voice cracking from sheer emotion.

DogBlogger said...

I love it when pastors walk up and down the aisle with the newly baptized, and I think your Lion King bit ROCKS.

Wyldth1ng said...

Wow, I have never heard of that being done before. Amazing.

PK said...

I LOVE the Lion King image. I'm going to have to incorporate this into our rite.

Sally said...

loving the Lion King thing...cool!!!

Auntie Knickers said...

You mean everyone doesn't walk the baby around or at least show it off in some way? Anyway, I liked your (or your congregation's) Lion King image. At least somebody there has a sense of humor!

Gord said...

Beloved and I had a great laugh at the Lion King image.

will smama said...

Some 'Lion King baptism maneuver' pointers just because you didn't ask...

1) I actually don't face towards the congregation as Rafiki does in the movie (I only realized this in recent repeated viewings of "The Lion Movie"). My back is to the congregation because most babies are hefty enough that a front-facing maneuver could twinge something.

2) Take the time to pause to have the choir members help rearrange the baby's gown/outfit/whatever. It's worth it and grandmom's fuss when they catch you using your teeth on the hand-me-down lace.

3) Be ready for whatever gravity may bring your way. Never - EVER - take your eyes off of the baby.... not for their safety, but rather for your cleaning bill.

Crimson Rambler said...

Us old folks, who were brought up on The Jungle Book (PRE Disney, thank you) rather than The Lion King, call that the Council Rock moment..."recognize this cub" anyhow!