Friday, June 13, 2008

Road Trip

I leave around lunchtime today to drive to 'State-that-Looks-Like-a-Mitten'; about an 8 hour drive.

On Wednesday nights before Easter I would go to the gym with a friend and then afterwards we would go get a drink, a bottomless basket of chips and salsa and I would talk out my grief and sadness.

Thanks to her and all of you, I got better and was able to be there for her when post-Easter we would do the same thing only she would talk out her grief and sadness about her Dad losing his battle with cancer.

He was an otherwise healthy man whose doctors didn't listen when he said he thought the radiation wasn't working and that the prostate should come out. Those of you who have been through this journey know that it is awful, and when someone is healthy otherwise the death process can be absolutely brutal.

Another friend and I had talked about going, but I figured with my schedule there was just no way. It turns out that the reason I was keeping this weekend fairly open no longer exists and so not only can I help make the drive, help pay for gas, etc... but now we both will be able to stand with our friend and her family in the face of her father's death.

Grief and sadness is a journey. There are many more Wednesday nights in our future. I am glad I will be able to be with her in this part of the valley too.

k.o. - Blessed are those who see the Lord face to face...

8 comments:

Songbird said...

Traveling mercies, to you and to your friend's dad on the great journey.

cheesehead said...

Amen.

Kathryn said...

Love and prayers go with you

ElastiGirl said...

lots of prayers for you, your friend, her family, and safe travels... glad you had the time blocked to be able to go - you are a good friend.

zorra said...

Everything they said. Blessings to you in this trip, which will be such a comfort to your friend.

Cathy said...

Yes, a great comfort and gift you will be. Praying for safe travel.

Ruby said...

I hope you bring some laughter with the tears. XOXO

PK said...

Blessed are the ones who journey to their friends... to journey with them.