Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Portal to the Future

My 16 year old nephew is here. I know this because large quantities of food have gone missing and dvd's are being viewed at really random times. Those of you with teenages may be thinking, "tell me about it." We are having a good visit, don't get me wrong, but his girlfriend lives here (he lives in Florida) so I am really not the main attraction.

Once you have a child it seems like everyone who already has one HAS to tell you how fast it goes. And I've witnessed the rapid rate at which my infant has seemingly become a little man. He actually yelled up the stairs the other day, "Hey Ma! I'm going outside!"
I had to hold myself from responding, "Don't forget to take out the garbage!"

I am thankful for my nephew being here for a lot of reasons with one of them being for this brief portal into the future. So don't mind me if instead of doing all of the things on my never-ending 'to do' list I choose to sit on the couch as requested by my 3 and a half year old. There simply is no other choice when he says, "Mommy, I made a place for you next to me."

I wonder if this kind of window of time is part of what had Jesus so frustrated with the disciples and the crowds and the leaders of the day. Who cares about eating, arbitrary rules and yes even family, when the Son of God is only in the earthly kingdom for so short of an amount of time.

This week's lectionary text is Matthew's version of the feeding of the 5,000. Don't send the people away, feed them here. We have plenty. There is no time in this earthly kingdom to waste.

9 comments:

cheesehead said...

Amen. That'll preach!

ElastiGirl said...

it's all about intentional priorities

The Vicar of Hogsmeade said...

well said

good choice

God_Guurrlll said...

The stories of your son just make my heart leap.

I miss you too.

mid-life rookie said...

hope you're sitting on the sofa even as I type, or chasing balls or some such fun.

mid-life rookie said...

chasing balls - baseballs, soccer balls, footballs... I forgot you're twelve and apparently so am I today!

PK said...

sitting on the sofa... snuggled is one of the most beautiferous feelings in the whole world!!!

St. Casserole said...

sweet!

I remember time crawling when the children were little. As they grew, time sped up and now I can't stand the speed of it.

I'm sofa sitting more, too.

seethroughfaith said...

teens (at least the male variety in this house) DO eat ...

but not if you make new recipes as I did today. TS was not impressed and I didn't sneak green veggies in and disguise them - honest!