Monday, July 14, 2008

Seeds

Hi all (if anyone is left). Sorry about the time between posts.

Right now if you are lectionary preachers or lectionary listeners then you are in the midst of gardening/sowing/farming/weeding and soon, mustarding. They are good solid parables with plenty of room for discussion and pontifications and illustrations. Maybe too much room.

As a former Youth Director I have plenty of experience with seeds that don't grow until much - much - much later. Two of the youth who drove me the most crazy are now pursuing their calls in ministry, one as a certified Director of Christian Education and the other as an ordained Minister of the Word and Sacrament. If you had told me this then, I would have scoffed. Seriously.

As I try to be patient with the process of moving from here, the ripple-effect of choices made by others continues to impact the day-to-day ministry and even life that I lead here. I'm ok thanks to a strong support system (you included) but I am also seriously looking forward to serving in a congregation where I am not paying for the sins of others. Or at least not paying for the sins of one who was once my significant other.

Today I needed to hear a friendly voice and so I called a higher-up in my Support System and she reminded me of the parables that we have been working with this month. I have planted seeds here. I know I have, but right now I am not going to see the growth from those. Too many weeds.

Hopefully some day when someone is in the midst of the valley they will remember me and remember that during my own time of major trial I stood up and preached an Easter sermon. Because God is that good even when we don't feel it. Maybe one of the young women in our youth group will head to seminary or the mission field. Maybe someone will remember that God has a sense of humor too.

I know this place has planted seeds in me and I am looking forward to that growth as well.

I just could do without the growing pains.

15 comments:

Tiffany said...

Saying many prayers for you and sending you love and support.

DogBlogger said...

(((will smama)))

mid-life rookie said...

Someday, long after you have moved on, a young woman will face a crisis - perhaps like yours and perhaps not- and she will remember the grace, dignity, and faith you showed in your difficult time and she will be strengthened. As someone I heard speak put it-she will roll up against your bones and come to life.

2 Kings 13:21 As a man was being buried, a marauding band was seen and the man was thrown into the grave of Elisha; as soon as the man touched the bones of Elisha, he came to life and stood on his feet.

Praying that the next place for you to do some gardening will come around soon, and for peace in the meantime.

cheesehead said...

I've been worried after you. It's good to see you back.

concretegodmother said...

as if you could get rid of your loyal readers that easily! (even us lurkers.) it's weeks later, and i'm still laughing about the "crazy town" comment. i'm going to incorporate that into my daily vocabulary, i've decided.

sounds as though pastoring is much like teaching. we deal in seeds, too. sometimes i call them time bombs, only the time elapsed is usually much longer. it's why teachers have to be optimists; we couldn't keep going in the face of the dearth of feedback if we weren't.

hang in there. you're finding fertile ground, even if you're not aware of it now...even if you're not aware of it until the other side of the time divide.

God_Guurrlll said...

]*

Glad you are back.

What everybody else said. I am sure that the seeds you have already planted are germinating and because of your care they will bloom, some while you are there but most after you have moved on.

Peace and love,

Mary Beth said...

(o)

Kathryn said...

Hugs and loves as you wait for the seeds of your own transition to grow (if that's not an impossibly mixed metaphor). The hugs and loves at least are straightforward and immediate ;-)

ElastiGirl said...

what MLR said -
]* ws

Towanda said...

(o)

Songbird said...

You know I'm still around. I like the way you think and work through it all. (((ws))) (whether you like it or not...)

St. Casserole said...

yes. I'm looking forward to your next call, too. It's coming.

PK said...

Yeah for the next call!!!!! And... for right now... yeah... for the woman who keeps on planting seeds... even when it hurts her... and she might never see them grow.

Gracebythesea said...

Hey WS, in time sof great pain and suffering i remember Theresa of Avilla stating that those who suffer are deeply beloved by God. You're no exception.

Magdalene6127 said...

GBTS, I believe she also said, "If this is how you treat your friends, no wonder you have so few of them." I don't know why, but that comforts me too... that such a saint got so pissed off.

(((WS)))