Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Scholastic Weekly

In mid-March of this year I was phone interviewed by a committee looking for their next Head of Staff. I was heavily medicated thanks to the flu and at my own emotional ground zero. I did perhaps the worst phone interview ever.

One of the questions was what books am I currently reading. I could come up with nothing. I said, "You mean besides Parenting magazine?" Even though at the time I was reading Diane Butler Bass' Christianity for the Rest of Us and Preaching Ethically by Ronald Sisk.

So it happens... but I'm not running for Vice President.

She actually comes off more intelligent in this interview than she has at other times. the 3:54 mark is where you can find the comments I am referencing:


Watch CBS Videos Online

10 comments:

Beach Walkin said...

Hope the process goes well... and that the flu/drug thing was overlooked. Peace.

cheesehead said...

Well, the good news is that she wasn't told ahead of time by her prep staff what it is that she reads. (Because frankly, you can tell when a candidate--any candidate--is doing that.)

The bad news: doesn't look like she reads. (Moose in the headlights.)

Teri said...

she reads all the magazines and newspapers? How does she have time for anything else? wow.

will smama said...

Well, thanks beach walkin, mainly what I got out of that was some important lessons learned chief of them being: Know when it is ok to postpone an interview.

Rev Dr Mom said...

She reads them ALL--uh,yeah.

Not the only troubling part of the interview, either.

cheesehead said...

Boy, howdy, RDM.

God_Guurrlll said...

Could be worse, I would have said "People" magazine. Then I would have pulled a Palin and stuttered about a good pastor knowing the culture that surrounds her, and that I preach with a bible in one hand and a newspaper in the other. But then the newspaper would be The National Enquirer.

Peace and love,

stinuksuk said...

Some interviews go well and others...just go down in flames.(I know, I've had my share of those!) I once asked about TULIP and what it means!! Geez, I hadn't formally dealt with that since a brief mention in Seminary some 20 years earlier!!! Had to go look it up!!! Was honest, named the one or two I knew, said I haven't really referrd to that since Seminary and when the second interview happened rattled them off!!! I was offered the position!

will smama said...

Well, I sure as HECK had to look it up! That would have been a helpful mneumonic device indeed!

Beach Walkin said...

Girl... where you... your tattoo... and your boy?