Sunday, November 2, 2008

Discernment

I realize posts to this blog have been few and far between. I miss you all.
Full time parenting and full time working have put a new time management spin on my life. Although, if you know who I am in 'real life' and we're friends on Facebook then you know I am able to fit in umpteen status updates.

The real time vaccuum is the job search. It's a weird process because I have spent the better part of my ministry here encouraging honesty and transparency... and then I have to sneak around for a job search. This has been made all the more challenging because the church I am the furthest along in conversations with is only a couple of towns over.

It's exciting and nerve-wracking and calming all at the same time. This weekend my Mom and The Boy and I looked at our first house. I am currently in a manse (home owned by the church) and a move would mean - HAS to mean - that I will be buying a home. Right now the plan is that my Mom will retire and my parents will move in with me in order to be the family support system for The Boy and I. This, of course, will offer up its own challenges, but if I want to make the move to Head of Staff at a large church, there needs to be a support system at home.

Discernment is such an intangible thing. If I was trying to put it in lay terms I think I would say it is a series of hints and clues and signs that lead you to an educated guess as to what the best decision is. Of course, there is also a large spiritual component but I am not even going to try to describe that.

Looking at the first house felt good. It felt like the right move and although it wasn't the PERFECT house, it really helped in starting the process of what could work and what definitely won't. All is to say, as part of the discernment process it is definitely put in the 'plus' column.

This committee comes to hear me preach on 11/16 and then we go out to lunch.
Prayers appreciated...

20 comments:

mibi52 said...

Thinking of you and praying for you as you go through this discernment process. All will be well...

mibi52 said...

Thinking of you and praying for you as you go through this discernment process. All will be well...

esperanza said...

Wow, you certainly do have a lot going on...and the sneaking around is so draining. Prayers for all concerned.

Magdalene6127 said...

That's a lot going on for you WS. Blessings, prayers for you and the boy and your parents and your once and future churches.

St. Casserole said...

There isn't a way for a search to be transparent. I sat in the New Orleans airport waiting for a plane and saw, OF COURSE, two church members who reported me. I was about 500 miles from my church.

These are exciting times for you!
Let me say, on behalf of the Church, any church calling you is a very fortunate church.

Thinking of you and keeping you and the Boy in my prayers.

Mary Beth said...

Praying for you and all. Good to hear from you here.

zorra said...

Prayers, you got 'em.
Let me just say, as someone who is currently on the other side of that table, that PNC you're talking with appreciates your prayers for their discernment process too. I like your description of discernment.

God, be leading WS and the church where you are calling her, as they seek and find one another.

Rev Kim said...

Praying for you here, too.

The Vicar of Hogsmeade said...

You got my prayers, too.

God_Guurrlll said...

Praying for you as well. I am so glad that your parents are willing to support you in this process! Yes it will have challenges of its own, however I imagine the blessings will be abundant!

BTW, I'd work for you anytime. Too bad we are in different denominations.

Peace and love,

DogBlogger said...

Lifting you up in prayer....

Sarah S-D said...

may God's Spirit bring clarity in your discernment.

Kathryn said...

Lots and lots of prayers my friend. So good to hear something of what is going on for you xxxx

Quotidian Grace said...

This is good news all around.

Praying for you!

Towanda said...

Prayers indeed.

Sue said...

Praying here too...

Lauralew said...

Hugs and prayers for you.

Gord said...

YEah, the "sneaking around" thing. I hate it. Talking about future planning and finances and knowing that if things go by plan I will solve (temporarily) the financial crunch with one little letter...

Gracebythesea said...

I give you so much credit for managing all of it so deftly. Hang in know that God goes before you in all that you.
Prayers from me too!

Mary M said...

Friend - I've not checked in lately, but you have been on my mind - and I read just as you are in final prep mode for the big weekend. Big times prayer for ture discernment by all parties. I look forward to hearing the outcome. Bless you!