Saturday, March 21, 2009

Things to Know When Raising a PK

I am not a PK (Pastor's Kid) but I am raising one. This week I learned two important lessons.

During the children's time last Sunday the question was asked what happens when the policeman sees you after you have gone through a stop sign. My PK, clear as a bell said, "You get a special ticket!"*
Here is where I learned important Lesson #1: If you don't flinch during the children's time most folks won't even know it was your kid who said it!

PK was calling up the stairs for me last night and as parents sometimes do I was waiting for the calls to move from the level of "I just want your attention" to "something's on fire." Finally he used language that got my attention and then it got my attention that this name in particular got my attention. He said, "Pastor Kathryn, I neeeeeeeeed you downstairs!"

Lesson #2: If your pk has to resort to the name that your parishioners call you, maybe it's time to listen.







* Not sure it matters but my brilliant PK was applying the lesson learned from Mommy driving too fast to what must surely happen if you go through the stop sign.

9 comments:

Songbird said...

*Now* we know what to call you!

Rev Dave said...

So...PK is raising a PK?

Around here, I occasionally get called PD by some of the kids; I'm waiting for some of the younger kids to morph that into calling me Petey or Pete and then get really confused when they realize my name is David.

Just a random thought on a Saturday morning.

Beth said...

Our son, who is a PK squared (DH and I are both clergy) will call us "Pastor Mommy" and "Pastor Daddy" when he's in the midst of a clergy gathering with Pastor Bob, Pastor Mark, etc. Too funny!

cheesehead said...

My PK--who really isn't so much of one since she was almost 14 when I was ordained--refers to me as "my mother, the Reverend" in her tweets and FB updates when she wants to try to shock her friends with my "bizarre behavior" (her term, not mine).

Deb said...

Cheesehead - My kids were 13 and 17 at my ordination last summer. They refer to me as "Reverend Mother" (and yes, they've both read Dune...)

Actually, I think I'll blog the reason that's funny... Just in case Dune wasn't on your light reading list...

LOL

Deb

Crimson Rambler said...

and sometimes mine call me "Father Mother"...My children were 25, 19, and 16 when I was ordained, but there had been 7 years of seminary (part-time) before that...they had time to get used to the idea!

pastor cindy said...

A congregant was giving me a prayer request for a friend and added, dropping her voice, "And besides all that, he was a pastor's kid, and you know the damage that can do." I thought of my three "damaged" ones and had to laugh. And sigh.

Sally said...

:-) as a mum to 5 PK's been there, but this made me smile!

QuakerPastor said...

I love this...my PK is almost 17 and he doesn't remeber when I wasn't in ministry. .. from "writing his sermon" when he was 2, to wanting to participate in worship every once in awhile with me now.
I met a woman a couple of weeks ago who is the over 80 year old daughter of one of my predecessors here. I remarked to her that it's good to know that PK's can survive and do well! She laughed out loud ;)