Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Thoughts on Lent 4

This is just me sitting in my virtual coffee house throwing out random thoughts as I do research/prayer/thinking about this Sunday's sermon:

Scripture: Numbers 21:4-9; Psalm 107:1-3, 17-22; Eph. 2:1-10; John 3:14-21
Working Title: Snakes on a Plain

- Wholeness and Healing is also going to be a part of this service

- I have pulled out the sermon from three years ago, mainly hoping to cut down on research time since I am in a new position with a lot of energy being placed elsewhere.

- Numbers text would be a good one to just skip right over except it is referenced as preamble to the most popular Bible verse on the planet (or at least the most popular at sporting events).

- Playing with a connection between W+H service and the #'s and Ephesians passages. We are given life by grace found in Christ.... both encourage us to keep our focus on what will save you - ignore snakes nipping at your ankles. John makes the parallel more blatant: And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in teh wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever belives in him may have eternal life.

- How can this be addressed without seemingly discounting the pain people are in - both physical and emotional

To be continued....

-

4 comments:

Jane Ellen+ said...

I'm thinking about the snakes... and the ubiquitous nature of *that verse* ... and contemplating the way that even gifts from God intended for W+H (like brass serpents, and holy scripture) can be turned into idols.

Don't know where it's going yet, but that's where I'm starting.

Songbird said...

Well, you are killing me with that title, for one thing.

Songbird said...

And for another, I'm playing with some ideas about healing and that love expressed in both the gift of verse 16 and the expansiveness of verse 17.

Kathrynzj said...

Anything can be turned into idols is where I have found myself but I keep stopping short because I am not sure I want to push on the 'some of us have made our pains and hurts (emotional and physical - more so emotional) our idols' button.

Cheesehead gets the credit for the title.