Friday, November 20, 2009

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Thanksgiving Edition

From the revgalblogpals:
The Cure

Lying around all day
with some strange new deep blue
weekend funk, I'm not really asleep
when my sister calls
to say she's just hung up
from talking with Aunt Bertha
who is 89 and ill but managing
to take care of Uncle Frank
who is completely bed ridden.
Aunt Bert says
it's snowing there in Arkansas,
on Catfish Lane, and she hasn't been
able to walk out to their mailbox.
She's been suffering
from a bad case of the mulleygrubs.
The cure for the mulleygrubs,
she tells my sister,
is to get up and bake a cake.
If that doesn't do it, put on a red dress.

--Ginger Andrews (from Hurricane Sisters)

So this Friday before Thanksgiving, think about Aunt Bert and how she'll celebrate Thanksgiving! And how about YOU?

1. What is your cure for the "mulleygrubs"?
Coffee and couch. Or little boy hugs.

2. Where will you be for Thanksgiving?
My brother-in-law's parents' house about 3 hours away.

3. What foods will be served? Which are traditional for your family?
We were there a couple of years ago and it was pretty traditional fare. The two traditions in our family that are different from some are creamed onions and red cabbage.

4. How do you feel about Thanksgiving as a holiday?
I think that any day that offers a significant opportunity to take pause and give thanks is an increasingly important one.

5. In this season of Thanksgiving, what are you grateful for?
That my father has been able to meet and be with both of his grandsons.

8 comments:

Auntie Knickers said...

What a nice extended family Thanksgiving you'll be having! Enjoy!

angela said...

Kid hugs are indescribably genuine--just the thing. When Ella sees I'm she says "hi, mommy" and makes sure she's making eye contact when she says it and smiles. It always works, and I take a deep breath.

altar ego said...

#5 is especially touching for me, as we have family estrangements that interfere with us seeing our grandchildren.

Sally said...

I love your #4, reflection and thanksgiving should go together.

MperiodPress said...

Ah...#1! Love that one. Now and then when I am walking with my students, one will simple sidle up and slip her hand into mine to hold on for a little while.

Love that... never fails to bring a smile. May your day be a good one!

Jan said...

Thanks for the thought of little boy hugs!! I remember those fondly, but now my little boys are 20 and 24! Happy Thanksgiving!

Songbird said...

I'm glad about your dad, too.

Susie/NuevaCantora said...

Creamed onions! Us too!!!