Sunday, January 31, 2010

Freedom Checklist

On a day in late June of 2007 I came home to a letter in my door that turned what I thought was the steady foundation of my marriage into sinking sand. By August, I was told I had to give up the fight with the words from the counselor ringing in my ears, "It takes two to be in a relationship, but only one to destroy it."

In September of that year I was sinking fast with a two year old who needed me and a congregation I was solo pastoring that did its best to understand, but unless you've been through it, how can you? I realized that I needed to start making my own light at the end of the tunnel and so I created the Freedom Checklist.

These were goals that I put down that now were no longer up to someone else to help me achieve. They were all mine.

5) Credit cards paid off.
4) $6000 in savings.
3) Hug The Boy 1,000+ times.
2) Purchase a home or move significantly towards the purchase of a home.
1) Take The Boy to Disney when he turns 5.

This is not a post to gloat, but rather to celebrate so nevermind the details. I am not sure on the exact number for #3 but I get a hug in whenever I can. I have purchased a home which means although I had achieved #4, I am now working back towards it. And #5 has been completed.

Tomorrow we leave for Disney. We've been saving for 2 and a half years. Today at church folks asked The Boy if they could come with him and he would smile sweetly and say, "Do you have your money in a jar?"

Almost a year ago today I was accepted as the new Head of Staff at the church I currently serve. When The Boy and I came back into the Sanctuary, we received a standing ovation. I soaked it in for all it was worth and considered it our victory lap.

"Congratulations kathrynzj! You have escaped the abyss that is the heartbreak of betrayal and the grief that comes with divorce. Where are you going to go next?"

WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!!!

15 comments:

Katherine said...

I am so happy for you. Have a wonderful time!!

Songbird said...

Hurray!!! Have a great trip!!!

Listing Straight said...

A great list. Savor and enjoy...

Jane Ellen+ said...

Woohoo!!! I hope you and the boy have a marvelous trip!

God_Guurrlll said...

super cool. have a great time.

ElastiGirl said...

Mouse ears for all!!!

Ruth said...

Have a great time and celebrate how far you, God and your son (in no particular order) have come together. Wonderful life!!

MumPastor said...

what an amazing story of God's grace, your love for your son, and a boatload of very hard work on your part. Have a GREAT time!

zorra said...

I hope you have such a wonderful time!
I'm sitting quietly in my office, doing celebratory backflips on the inside.

Kathryn said...

You are a star - as I've known all along.
Have a truly wonderful trip xx

knittinpreacher said...

Horray!!!!!! Best news of the day. Have a fantastic time, soak it all in and enjoy it.

Jules said...

You're pretty freakin' amazing.

(formerly CH)

Kathryn said...

That's wonderful!! You're an inspiration!

Mary Beth said...

DANCIN'!!!!!

seethroughfaith said...

you rock

this made me cry

well done you (((big hugs)))