Friday, March 26, 2010

RevGalBlogPals Friday Five: Refresh & Restore Edition

Songbird writes:

We're in the thick of it in church life as we approach the end of Lent. Palm Sunday and Holy Week await. In the midst of this busy-ness, I undertook a little redecorating here at RevGalBlogPals and found a new template for us.

It's the sort of task I like in the middle of chaos, a chance to redo something, to refresh the way I feel, to restore some sense of order.Please share with us five ways you redo or refresh or restore your body, your space, your blog, anything in your life that needs perking up this week.

1) I have regularly scheduled massage appointments on my calendar set for every two weeks. They are not relaxing. They are deep tissue. They are a reminder that my body needs to be restored too.

2) Right now, in the midst of approaching Holy Week chaos of all things, I am thinking about what it will mean to restore order to my health. I have been blessed with relatively good health, but the time for taking for granted such things is LONG past. Those two classics, diet and exercise, need to advance up the list of priorities, and fast.

3) Admittedly I am a clutter-bug. Organization and observation does not come naturally to me. I don't pick up that pile of books in the corner, because quite frankly I don't even see that pile of books in the corner. And yet when my brain struggles to focus I find it is these peripheral things that are creating more chaos than I give them credit for. Usually a solid 20 minutes is all that it takes to create a calmer space in order to work, live and breathe.

4) My use of social media needs some boundaries. It takes less discipline to throw out a passing comment on Twitter or a platitude on Facebook than it does to blog. But even a perfunctory glance at the time spent on those two social networking sites (even the "quick checks") reveals a need to restore some boundaries around those exercises. When I feel like I am hearing the chatter of a thousand voices in my head, I know it's time to restructure my social priorities. I miss my blogging friends. I miss my phone friends. I even miss my email friends, and there is no one to blame for this but myself.

5) Read. I am attempting to replenish my thirsty soul by reading. If you have any suggestions (recreational, pastoral, and/or theological, etc...) please let me know.

6 comments:

Silent said...

For quick refreshment by reading, I go back to children's books--picture books and also upper elementary/young adult novels. I can read them quickly so don't feel like I'm starting a book that I won't get finished.

I am trying to make time for more reading myself because there's something about being surrounded by words that replenishes me too.

Sally said...

I read too, sometimes time is an issue but I need it, if time is limited I read poetry, esp. R.S Thomas and Emily Dickinson

Purple said...

Those "quick looks" to check updates...me too.

wf=slymom

Songbird said...

I still ache from yesterday's massage, so I hear you!

Jennifer said...

I would like to introduce myself...I believe I am your separated at birth sibling. I can so relate to 1-5.
For mental nourishment, I recommend Life is a Verb by Patti Digh. It's changed the way I think about writing to preach.

DogBlogger said...

Funny... I find deep-tissue massages to be the most relaxing because they're so effective. With other kinds, I just find myself thinking, "We're not getting anything DONE here!"