Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I Read One!

The Pastor As Minor Poet: Texts and Subtexts in the Ministerial Life The Pastor As Minor Poet: Texts and Subtexts in the Ministerial Life by M. Craig Barnes


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is a must read for the seminarian, and then a must read again no more than 5 years later.

The two sections of the book revolve around the call and craft of the Minor Poet - namely, the parish pastor. Although admittedly at times M. Craig Barnes hold the bar rather high, he also makes it clear that it is a job never perfectly done and the goal of Minor Poet is more a journey than a destination.

I found this book both challenging and comforting as the reflections on his own journey in parish life were right on target with mine.

I highly encourage those in ministry or considering the possibility to read this book and then keep it close at hand for those days/weeks/months when the vocation begins to more closely resemble that of an activities coordinator or nonprofit manager than the Minor Poet we are called to be.

View all my reviews >>

5 comments:

Katherine said...

See, I was actually just selfishly encouraging you to join GoodReads because I wanted YOUR book recommendations. I'd never heard of this, and it sounds fabulous. It's on my list now. Thanks!

reverendmother said...

Thanks for this!

ElastiGirl said...

I saw the review for this in Christian Century awhile back - thanks for reminding me that I wanted to read it! the personal recommendation is more valuable.

Songbird said...

I'm ordering it now!

Rev Kim said...

I heard Barnes both speak & preach two years ago at the Calvin Worship Symposium. We received this book as a freebie for signing up for his workshop. He's amazing; I really like him. I even occasionally go on "the other PTS" website to see if he's leading any con-ed events. Oh, and I agree with you that his book is a must-read, too.