Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I liked this book better than I thought I would.

When this book first came out and Liz Gilbert (I am using the more familiar 'Liz' because that is what she uses in the book) was doing Oprah and other junkets I was in the wrong place to be excited about a book written by someone who had left her marriage. Having just been the one who was left behind minus the publisher sponsored year-long trip to exotic places, I believe the word 'bitter' could be used appropriately.

My curiosity about the book remained and as I healed and gained peace and energy in my new life I allowed myself the rare treat of buying a book to read in a college town's quaint bookstore. I am glad I did.

Her journey through a year of healing was profound at times and downright hilarious at others. I found more in common with the first third and therefore enjoyed it the most. Although I have never been to Italy I can certainly find a common chord with healing through eating. I have less in common with meditation and yoga or finding a Brazilian soulmate in Bali (althouth I am open to the idea).

As I am not one who can read more than one book at a time, I am glad I took a break from the ministry-related fare I have lined up on my bookcases. And maybe I won't wait three years before I read her latest about marrying the Brazilian soulmate.

View all my reviews >>

3 comments:

Coasting Anon said...

I've eaten the Pizza she talks about at Pizzaria da Michele...she's right, it's devine. I really liked her honesty in the book, it reminded me of Anne Lammott at times.

reverendmother said...

I enjoyed it too, though I almost enjoyed it more as a brilliant coup of marketing than as a book.

I kept going, "So she gets a major publishing house to pay for her year-long adventure of finding herself?"

I tried not to hate her for that truly genius idea.

Kathrynzj said...

RM, this was the reason I spouted to people why I DIDN'T want to read it. It was only when I just read the book that I found out she was up front with it in writing it.

When I saw her on Oprah (for the 15 minutes I could stand it) I kept waiting for her to own up to the truth!

But as mentioned in my review... I had just a tad few other issues going on at the time.