Friday, June 25, 2010

Revgalblogpals Friday Five: Summer Fun Edition




Songbird gives us this week's Friday Five over at revgalblogpals:
It's possible I may have a bad attitude about the arrival of summer. On the eve of the Solstice I left for a mission trip to a town in Maine bordering Quebec. Beset by a swarm of bloodthirsty black flies, and a "classic allergic reaction" according to the PA at the Urgent Care, I had to return the next morning to a week of Benadryl and ice packs. (If only I had known about Bug Band *before*...)

But I don't want that to ruin summer for the rest of you. So I invite you to share five things you love--or don't--about summer. The tone is up to you!


I grew up by the ocean so for me 1-5 and beyond is The Beach. BUT... not necessarily for the lay around and burn to a crisp qualities of it, but more for the other details that cannot be found anywhere else.

1) The smells. Even the diesel engines of fishing boats as they head out for the morning is a good smell. The stench of an extreme low tide in the marshy part of the bay? Bring it on. And that sweet, salty air? mmmmmmmmmmm. I remember driving over to the beach from seminary in February and my husband wondering what had gotten into me as I took deep whiffs of VERY cold ocean air.

2) The sounds. Not just the consistent yet individual sound of waves hitting the shore, but the sound of the pebbles or shells bumping up against each other as the waves rolls back from whence they came. Boats heading out of the inlet and then back in. VERY happy children running past on the boardwalk or beach. The pitter-patter of the sand pipers as they run in and out of the water.

3) The food. I have a strict seafood rule which basically comes down to this: unless your state has a border with the ocean, I'm not eating seafood there. And so all cholesterol counts are laid aside when I travel to the ocean as I indulge in all kinds of succulent offerings from shrimp to lobster. Of course, there is other fare at the beach to be had as well - gourmet hot dogs, french fries with vinegar, pork roll sandwiches and rolls with butter (those last 2 are NJ things, no wonder we lead the way in the obesity of America charts).

4) The feelings. As I mentioned in last week's Friday Five I have to keep a tight rein on my every day schedule and so while on vacation at the beach the feeling of freedom from that schedule is greatly appreciated and enjoyed. At the beach there is plenty for The Boy to do and so there is far less pressure to keep things 'at the ready' other than food and drink.

Add to that the feeling of a shower in an outdoor stall after a day at the beach, the joy and deep pleasure of watching the sun rise and set while loved ones are close by, and the sense of grounding that I get from returning back to my roots. It is good.

5) It appears I have cheated and listed things I love about the beach, rather than summer. Oops. Back on track now with summer - I do love grilling outside in the summer and when it is pleasant, sipping morning coffee on the back deck.

BONUS: What do I not like? Extreme humidity, bug bites (poor Songbird), and the sunburn that comes from the sunscreen missing the spot (such as the tops of my feet, or streaks of burn on the arms where I thought I hit, but did not).

7 comments:

Auntie Knickers said...

Great play. I so agree about the seafood (and am so happy to be back near the ocean.) The smells - yes! Even the smell of a lobster-bait barrel brings back so many good memories that I can enjoy it for a few minutes before moving on. Enjoy your beach time!

RevDrKate said...

Lovely play...enjoy every minute of well-deserved beach-time you have.

altar ego said...

I love your play. I spent summer vacations on Cape Cod, and know well many of the sights, sounds, smells and feelings that you describe. You evoked for me a taste of many happy days from my youth, and experiences that I don't get a chance to enjoy as an adult. The youthful times are treasured all the more as a result. So thank you for your play, and enjoy the beach and all that it is for the rest of us who cannot be there!

Kathrynzj said...

This year we only get a week at the beach and as my sister so kindly pointed out I will even have a license plate from a state that OUTS me as a tourist.

Do they make t-shirts that say: 'No really, I'm from here.'

Thank you for the blessings, I will savor every moment.

LutheranChik said...

I understand your seafood rule...but living in Michigan, if we followed that we'd never enjoy even mediocre salt-water seafood, LOL. (DP the ex-Mainer has introduced me to the minor extravagance of ordering our New Year's Eve seafood direct from her old stomping grounds.) Fortunately, though, we have our own whitefish, walleye, lake trout and (sadly declining these days) perch fisheries...so we make do with those for the most part.

Jan said...

I felt like I was at the beach with your descriptions. I'm close to the beach, but don't go often, because I got old and flabby. The saving grace to all the heat and humidity here in Corpus Christi is the breeze/wind that is usually blowing.

Songbird said...

You bring back a lot of childhood sensations. My family went to Virginia Beach every year, sometimes for many weeks! I loved it.