Friday, July 23, 2010

RevGalBlogPals Friday Five: Making Decisions Edition


Since I've been in the midst of a discernment process, I've done a lot of reflecting on how we make decisions. But don't worry, I'm not going to ask you to reveal a dark story about a poor decision, or a self-flagellating story about an embarrassing one. Let's keep it simple and go with five word pairs. Tell us which word in the pair appeals to you most, and after you've done all five, give us the reason why for one of them.

Here they are:

1) Cake or Pie - Cake
2) Train or Airplane - Train
3) Mac or PC - Mac
4) Univocal or Equivocal - Equivocal
5) Peter or Paul - Peter

I could yammer on about all five of those (I am a preacher after all) but the one that made me chuckle was train/airplane. When going long distances I take airplanes, not trains. But as air travel has gotten more harried, the few times I have taken a train I have enjoyed being able to sit and quietly get my work done. I do NOT enjoy how excruciatingly long they can take and do not think they are transportation you can count on.

Odd that I would choose it, but I also think I was adding a romantic quality to it that in reality, just doesn't come through.




6 comments:

RevSharon said...

I like taking trains, too, when I get the chance. Thanks!

Songbird said...

I guess it's different if you're vacationing on a train and already with your traveling companion. Though a train station is a great place for a rendezvous!

altar ego said...

Except for a commuter rail (that I've taken once, just to do it) I don't have the opportunity to get on a train, so the rarity of it also makes it appealing to me. And then there's that romance/glamour, as you say.

Mary Beth said...

Ff't. I've never lived anywhere that I could TAKE a train. Boo.

Muthah+ said...

K,
It depends where you are and where you are going when it comes to trains. I love riding a communter train along the NE corridor. They are fast and steady and comfortable. I took the trans Canada trip a couple of years ago and I was ready to scream after a couple of trips. It was jerky and yanky and hard to read because the equipment was so antiquated.

SingingOwl said...

I'm so out of touch with everyone--just must get back in the swing of blogging and reading!

Smiling at your plane/train answer. Not much opportunity for train travel where I am, except for a trip from Milwaukee to Chicago, which was pretty quick.