Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Ready Position

This past spring I coached t-ball. Well, ‘coach’ is a little strong.

This past spring I told a group of five to 7 year olds in matching uniforms that they had to wait until after the game was over before they could have snack.

I am new to the parent side of the t-ball world, but previously had done my time sitting on the bleachers of my neice and nephews’ games. For me going as an aunt meant that I quickly moved past the charm of how cute those t-ballers looked in their uniforms and began to wonder how I could help those kids…. so that the game would end and we all could eat snack.

It was there that I wondered if it would make any difference to teach the kids to get into the ready position. The ready position is a baseball fundamental, where you bend your knees, balance on your toes, get your glove down and your free hand close to the glove in order to use two hands to field the ball. I thought if I could teach the kids this fundamental then whenever the ball was about to be placed on the tee, we could yell, “Ready Position!” and our meandering herd of snack feasters would turn into ballplayers.

We had mixed results. Some of the kids were really good at it. Some were good at it once you called their name… repeatedly 5 to 10 times. Some of them would instantly respond to the call to be in the ‘ready position’ no matter where they were on the field… or which way they were facing. And some of them…. well, some of them were the reason we had a rule on our team that you were not allowed to eat grass.

The most recent lectionary texts from Luke are all telling us in one way or another to get ready. I like this past Sunday's because it seemed to have a softer edge than this week's. Call me crazy, but I like the idea of the master coming home early to find the slaves ready, and then serving them a big feast. I like the idea of getting ourselves into the ready position in order to receive a blessing rather than judgment.

Being in the ready position means that our fists cannot be clenched, our arms cannot be folded, our minds cannot be shut and our hearts cannot be closed.

Are we ready?


3 comments:

Songbird said...

I don't suppose I can preach about coaching tee-ball, but thank you for this; it's helpful to a preacher picking up the previous text and using it this Sunday!

ElastiGirl said...

great reflection... great intersection also

Rev Dr Mom said...

I love this on so many levels!