Friday, August 27, 2010

Revgalblogpals Friday Five: College Dorm Edition

This week's revgalblogpals Friday Five comes to us from Martha (aka: Songbird)


Yesterday I returned my middle child for his second year of college. He's an experienced dorm resident, having spent two years at a boarding high school. In the lounge at the end of his floor I found a suite of This End Up furniture that took me back to my years in the Theta house at William and Mary. I remember polishing that furniture with my sorority sisters every spring, just before we headed off for Beach Week at Nags Head.

Mindful that many others are heading off to further schooling or delivering their loved ones to the institutions that provide it, here are five questions about dorm life.

1) What was the hardest thing to leave behind when you went away to school for the first time?
You know, if you ask my first roommate I didn't leave all too much at home. I could get philosophical and say my friends, my childhood but really I was READY to go.

My sister really has the funnier story in that when she told her roommate that a new modem was coming in the mail, she groaned and wondered where they were ever going to put that.

2) We live in the era of helicopter parents. How much fuss did your parents make when you first left home?
Please. My Mom had my room converted into a hobby/guest room before I was through Freshman orientation.

3) Share a favorite memory of living with schoolmates, whether in a dorm or other shared housing.
I lived in a dorm all four years and was Resident Advisor with my friends in the dorm my senior year. We just laughed and laughed and laughed and the nicknames and the Saturday Night Live skit reenactments can still make me crack up when I think about them.

4) What absolute necessity of college life in your day would seem hilariously out-of-date now?
A college issued phone plan, complete with the card code we had to put into our phone!

5) What innovation of today do you wish had been part of your life in college?
You know, I was going to say the internet, but I barely graduated on time as it is. :) I was very happy to be one of the few with a personal computer - not just a word processor - in my room. Thanks Mom and Dad!

Bonus question for those whose college days feel like a long time ago: Share a rule or regulation that will seem funny now. Did you really follow it then?
Hmmmmmm...... I am happy to say I don't think I'm old enough for this one. :)

6 comments:

Martha Hoverson said...

We turned #1 Son's room into a den.

Wendy said...

But did you have to fight for time on your own computer? That was my experience.

revkjarla said...

your last answer cracked me up!!!

Jan said...

So glad you played, you young thing!

revhipchick said...

love your bonus answer!

Joolie said...

I'm thinking those passages about not hoarding must hit you where you live. Says the pot to the kettle.