Friday, August 20, 2010

Revgalblogpals Friday Five: Declutter Edition

As posted by Jan at RevGalBlogPals:

I'm not sure where this is going to lead, as I am actually pretty ruthless in getting rid of 'stuff'. We'll see...

1. What things do you like to hang on to?
A quick glance around tells me it's t-shirts (they multiply like bunnies). There are only so many dust rags one needs, second-hand stores do NOT need t-shirts, and mailing them in bulk to a developing country seems awkward to me.

2. What is hard to let go of?
This one goes in the decluttering of the mind category - a) feeling like I am not doing enough and b) feeling like I have disappointed someone.

3. What is easy to give away?
Love. And the bonus is it usually gets returned with even more value than you gave it away.

4. Is there any kind of stumbling block connected with cleaning out?
The pure mass of incoming stuff which is only going to rise as The Boy enters Kindergarten with all of its assignments and notes home.

5. What do you like to collect, hoard, or admire?
Ummmm...... to-do lists. I collect and hoard them, I don't necessarily admire them.

Bonus: Tell us about recycling or whatever you can think of that goes along with this muttering about cluttering.
I've picked up on the 'one and done' rule which applies mainly to snail mail. When I sort through it I do it with the intention of taking care of it/recycling it/shredding it. This seems to help in keeping the paper clutter to a minimum. My other 'trick' is that I take pictures of The Boy's artwork and therefore I'm okay with recycling it sooner. Every year I make a photo album using Snapfish and one or two of the pages is dedicated to pictures of artwork from the year.

Your turn, where are you on the declutter scale?

8 comments:

angela said...

I'll remember the picture taking and hope that will help me let go of little girl art.

I've gotten worse about decluttering as I've started nesting again. But it certainly blocks my artistic nature to have too much stuff around...

Sharon said...

NIce to hear from such a determined de-clutter-er. Thanks for the inspiration.

altar ego said...

I like your play. I also practice one and done, and it really does help declutter in the paper department. I would also say that thrift stores CAN use t-shirts. When I "expanded" in size and needed t-shirts I went to Goodwill and had difficulty finding colors or words that I was willing to wear. You know that old saying about one person's trash... The Snapfish book is a great way to preserve your son's artwork. Great thinking!

Purple said...

#3...thanks for reminder.

Jules said...

I recently de-vested myself of a stack of t-shirts with a certain church logo on them.

It turns out that a cotton-poly blend does burn.

:)

Jan said...

I wish I was more like you. I loved your #2!! Your Snapfish yearly commitment sounds good.

Muthah+ said...

K, I like the one and done rule. I need to do that with mail.

Gord said...

jules,
you crack me up sometimes.

I hear you on artwork etc. and school. We had school worksheets and crats scattered all over the house last year---most (like 90%) of it got recycled in the packing process