Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Screwtape Letters

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Many months ago teaching a summer Sunday school class on this seemed like a good idea...


Now that the class is over I would admit that it was an 'okay' idea. CS Lewis is great and varied in his offerings. The Screwtape Letters offers a really good glimpse into the author's ability to use fiction to explain religious doctrine. Although, I hear he wrote a series of novels that do that as well (paging Aslan).


What I appreciated the most about this book was Lewis' sense of humor. His keen intellect and wit are spun perfectly together in this book written in letter format from the the perspective of one bureaucrat to a lesser-ranked bureaucrat whose business just happens to be evil.


It's a relatively quick read with short chapters that offer the reader the opportunity to either keep up the pace, reading for general story and tone, or really dive deep into the beautiful language and prose that CS Lewis uses to tell this story.


If you're looking to dive into a classic or just get to know CS Lewis from a different perspective, I highly recommend this book.


1 comment:

ElastiGirl said...

I like this one OK as well - not nearly as much as I like the Aslan ones or the Great Divorce...
Catching up on blogs - I'll keep you in my prayers as school begins. I get some feelings around school starting that strike me as similar to yours - I have learned that I mourn the loss of another year with the boys - it's a developmental grief process for me.