Friday, September 3, 2010

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Storms of LIfe Edition


Martha Hoverson over at the revgalblogpals writes:


I'm listening this morning for word of Hurricane Earl. Is he coming to visit, or will he bypass my part of Maine and move further Downeast, or veer toward Nova Scotia? Should I buy those bottles of water, just in case wind brings branches and power lines down? And how many times will the tracking map change today?

Herewith, a Friday Five about the storms of life:


1) What's the most common kind of storm in your neck of the woods?
Wind.... I think. Although I guess it is probably thunder storm but the wind that whips through this valley at times is more than I have dealt with in previous places I have lived.

2) When was the last time you dealt with a significant power outage?
There was an ice storm a couple of years ago that knocked out power where I lived for quite a few days. I remember waving to the electric trucks from Iowa, thanking them for coming out to help.

3) Are you prepared for the next one?
Sort of... we could manage for a couple of days and would then need to seriously regroup. Last time I went to my parent's house for refuge (although their power was out for awhile too). I no longer have that option as my house is their house.

4) What's the weather forecast where you are this weekend?
It is supposed to be cool with the front arriving as one of those wind storms I mentioned earlier.

5) How do you calm your personal storms?
I try to slow everything down and keep things as simple as possible. Of course, that has its drawbacks.
Feel free to jump in and play yourself. If you do, let me know and I'll come check it out!

9 comments:

DogBlogger said...

If you ever see any coming in from as far away as Arkansas, my nephew is one of those guys in the power company trucks!

altar ego said...

I remember driving from Georgia (where I was visiting) back to TN after hurricane Charley had decimated southwest Florida, and passing all the trucks heading the other way. I stopped counting when I got in to the 70s and more were within sight. It's wonderful to see how quickly groups pitch in. I also passed a mobile canteen convoy from Wyoming heading to Florida on that drive!

I hope you won't have to survive any outages of duration any time soon.

Mompriest said...

I found wind to be really annoying when it rages day and night....my house in AZ would howl from the air moving through it...I hope the wind is not that bad where you are...or the house is built better!

revkjarla said...

those ice storms can be wicked!!!

RevAnne said...

I've been fortunate to mostly be in communities lately that have been able to send trucks rather than need them. You remind me how grateful I am not to deal with much ice...even though I wish we had more snow.

Faith Hope Cherrytea said...

i've been experiencing a LOT more wind here in Canada this summer ~
to the extent of trees and branches downed - not usual for us
great stories of aid from you and comments !
thx for sharing - very cool !

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

well hopefull some of that wind will be the holy spirit... breathing new life into you, giving you a clean slate and confidence to be the strong, witty woman you are.

Jan said...

Ice storms can be scary.

Martha Hoverson said...

I remember when you went to your parents' house. How many cats were on the premises? :-)