Friday, January 7, 2011

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Holiday Redux Edition

Not so fast, revgals and pals!!!

Yes, I know it's January and yes, I know some of us are still on a cool sprint after only a brief respite (if that) from Advent and Christmas BUT... before we move too far along into The Next, I wanted to give us a chance to reflect on What Was.

A couple of staff members and I sat down today and wrote down what worked and didn't work during the Advent and Christmas season. There are quite a few things bearing down on us at the moment so it was a discipline to do it, but ten and a half months from now Future Me is going to LOVE that we made the effort.

And so partly to give us all a record and partly to give us all a chance to reflect on the 2010 Holiday Season now that we are out of it, I ask you this:

1) What food item was one of your favorites this year - a definite keeper?
We didn't get to them until post-Christmas but my grandmother's Christmas cookies or Chocolate Chip Merengues (their more official title) are So. Good.

2) Was there a meal or party or a gathering that stands out in your mind from this mose recent holiday season?
Two - the first was that on Christmas day friends invited us to their house. We took them up on their offer and it was a HUGE win. The Boy had a playmate to have a blast with and I had other people to prop me up and offer me food and drink. It was great.
The second was when Songbird and daughter came to town. We celebrated Second Christmas on December 29th without the late night services to go with it. It was so relaxing and so much fun.

3) Were you involved in a jaw-dropper gift? Were you the giver or recipient or an on-looker?
I was unable to give the 'jaw-dropper' this year but I did see the video of my friend's son when he walked in to the room to see his new drum kit. 'Ecstatic' is an understatement.

4) Was there at least one moment where you experienced true worship?
I mentioned in the post below the Longest Night service and once again this was a quiet an meditative service that healed the soul. We are blessed to have an Associate of Music who is beauty on the keyboard and I was smart enough to put plenty of space for music and silence. Gorgeous worship service.

5) What is at least one thing you want to make sure you do next year?
I liked setting apart a few days later for another Christmas celebration where I don't feel like a zombie. I'll have to figure out if it's possible to make that happen without making the rest of my family suffer.

BONUS: What is something you absolutely must remember to do differently... or not at all!
We didn't light the Advent candles well this year. The folks who did it came up during the first hymn, lit them and then went back with their families. It was time-efficient, but not an honor to them or to the symbolism involved.

5 comments:

RevDrKate said...

Sounds like a host of good things to remember to do (and not. Glad to hear overall it was a good season.

Songbird said...

Yay for Second Christmas! Thank you so much for having us.

RevHRod said...

So glad for your Second Christmas celebration. It warmed my heart to know you were all in one place bringing good cheer to each other.

altar ego said...

Love chocolate chip meringues. Haven't made them in for.ev.er. It's wonderful to extend any celebration--how lovely that you were able to do so with Songbird!

Presbyterian Gal said...

Second Christmases are a challenge. And cookies are lovely. I forgot to add doing cookies next year.