Friday, March 11, 2011

RevGalBlogPals Friday Five: Cars

SingingOwl at revgalblogpals writes:

Maybe it's just me, but I often remember how long ago someting occured or something about it by recalling the car we had at the time. For today's Friday Five, tell us about the cars in your life. Maybe we can even tempt some of the guys of the ring to join us. Specifically, tell us about:

1. The earliest recollection you have of a family car
I remember we had a station wagon that made a trip to Florida. On the way home, my sister and I both were sick with fevers and were sleeping in the back of the car. The seat was down and we were laying with blankets and pillows as if it were a bed. Seat belts? Not so much.

2. The first car you drove when you could (legally) get behind the wheel yourself.
It was a mini-van, the original Dodge Caravan. Maroon. My friends teased me about it but when everyone wanted to go to the beach it was me that they called.

3. A memorable road trip
Driving home from my college in Florida to my home in New Jersey with a dormmate who was full of book smarts but lacked the street smarts. We were driving north and needed to cut east to get to I-95. Instead, she got off the exit that pointed us west. When I told her that we needed to go the other way she said.... "No, you're just confused because we are in the south." (handslapsforehead)

Thankfully when she saw the sign with the mileage posted for Tallahassee, she turned the car around.

4. The car you drive now. Love it? Hate it?
It's a love/hate. Once again I have a mini-van (gray, 2001 - snore) and there are many utilitarian reasons to love it. But I really want a pick up truck and I miss the one I had.

5. An interesting story that involves you and a vehicle.
Well, it wasn't a vehicle I was actually driving, but when we went to Disney Studios last year The Boy was so excited to see 'Mater and Lightning McQueen that he was nervous to go up and have his picture taken. He also insisted on pulling out his Doc Hudson car to be in the picture too.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Ah, the station wagon! That would be my first memory of a car also. I hope to play later.

Heidi said...

Loving the boy!

Mary Beth said...

our number 1 is almost the same, but I swear I didn't read yours before I wrote mine. :)

Muthah+ said...

I loved my mini vans and I didn't even have kids. It was the only vehicle short of an 18 wheeler that would let me keep my fly rod fully ready for action as I moved to another fishing location.

SingingOwl said...

Aw...I'm lovin' the boy too!

Jan said...

Mini-vans are very convenient. My oldest son's first car was our ancient mini-van, which he did not get replaced until college.