The background of the situation is that a few years ago, Songbird reminded me that I had the Friday Five. I told her - quite adamantly - that I was one she would never have to worry about. I keep close track of such things.
As we were driving from having a beautiful breakfast with my sister, brother-in-law, nephew and brand new niece this morning you can imagine my dismay as Songbird said, "I hope whoever had the Friday Five today remembered to do it."
So for today, if you are still there, the Friday Five is this:
It's a busy season and our minds get caught up in lots of different things (a shiny new baby, in my case). We all know that especially during this time of year we have to be intentional about the things that are important or we can lose them. What are five things you try to be intentional about, whether it be for this season specifically or in general?
1) Sermon writing time - I've been trying to do a better job of setting a specific time for sermon work earlier in the week. It is frustrating how easily something that is SO important gets pushed out of the way for the trivial and mundane.
2) Time off in December - I forget where I picked up this tip, but I take the Friday before Christmas off of work. Totally. Truth be told our Christmas bulletins and most events are done by then and even if a Christmas Eve meditation is not done - it will be. This means that I can get those last second stuffers and post office runs done and my son and I can have an afternoon together before I turn into the Reverend Christmas Zombie.
3) Communication with special people - Facebook is not enough. It took me way too long to figure this out. I am not great at it, but I am trying to do better about intentionally reaching out to my friends with cards and phone calls and yes, even email.
4) Cookie baking - At some point during the season The Boy and I bake cookies.
5) The Ornament - Every year I take The Boy to pick out a Christmas ornament. He can pick whichever one he wants. This year he picked the most expensive one. So next year I will INTENTIONALLY set a price limit.