Friday, December 2, 2011

RevGalBlogPal Friday Five: Delinquent Edition

The background of the situation is that a few years ago, Songbird reminded me that I had the Friday Five. I told her - quite adamantly - that I was one she would never have to worry about. I keep close track of such things.

As we were driving from having a beautiful breakfast with my sister, brother-in-law, nephew and brand new niece this morning you can imagine my dismay as Songbird said, "I hope whoever had the Friday Five today remembered to do it."

D'oh.

So for today, if you are still there, the Friday Five is this:
It's a busy season and our minds get caught up in lots of different things (a shiny new baby, in my case). We all know that especially during this time of year we have to be intentional about the things that are important or we can lose them. What are five things you try to be intentional about, whether it be for this season specifically or in general?

1) Sermon writing time -
I've been trying to do a better job of setting a specific time for sermon work earlier in the week. It is frustrating how easily something that is SO important gets pushed out of the way for the trivial and mundane.

2) Time off in December - I forget where I picked up this tip, but I take the Friday before Christmas off of work. Totally. Truth be told our Christmas bulletins and most events are done by then and even if a Christmas Eve meditation is not done - it will be. This means that I can get those last second stuffers and post office runs done and my son and I can have an afternoon together before I turn into the Reverend Christmas Zombie.

3) Communication with special people - Facebook is not enough. It took me way too long to figure this out. I am not great at it, but I am trying to do better about intentionally reaching out to my friends with cards and phone calls and yes, even email.

4) Cookie baking - At some point during the season The Boy and I bake cookies.

5) The Ornament - Every year I take The Boy to pick out a Christmas ornament. He can pick whichever one he wants. This year he picked the most expensive one. So next year I will INTENTIONALLY set a price limit.


8 comments:

Songbird said...

Well, it's a cute ornament, anyway.

Muthah+ said...

I like that intentional sermon time. I like the Sat morning group on Revgals. It helps me focus in community.

altar ego said...

Yes to cookie baking! I especially love to do that when it is snowing outside (something about the warm kitchen on a cold day) but now that I live in TN, that would be miraculous.

I try to give ornaments each year to the special young'uns in my life so that they have a collection of their own when they leave home. Good for you for doing that with your boy!

Purple said...

I am trying that intentional sermon thing as well...I'm hitting a .500 hoping for a better percentage.

Sally said...

love #2- so important!

Joolie said...

Good perspectives. Hope you've forgiven yourself by now!

Processing Counselor said...

I have a lot of phone calling to do, too. It's true that I rely too much of FB or EM for communication these days.

seethroughfaith said...

what a lovely tradition - buying an ornament :)