Friday, January 29, 2016

Snow Day

In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets. ~ Matthew 7:12

On Sunday morning the dog and I made our usual trek around the neighborhood. Of course, the streets looked a lot different than I've ever seen them. The snow that had been plowed was twice as tall as I am in some places and sidewalks and driveways were only just beginning to be revealed from under their thick white blankets.

By that time on Sunday the sun was shining bright and a lot of folks were out taking care of their own sidewalks and driveways, and also helping others around them do the same. I've never seen so many people outside at once; talking, drinking coffee, leaning on shovels, working together to clear paths and almost all of them waving, "Good morning!"

From the stories I've heard there have been a lot of these glimpses of what God wants for us. Of course there's been some of the more frustrating stuff too... I'm pretty sure that when John Calvin spoke of the total depravity of humanity, he didn't mean that guy who parked in the spot you just spent 7 hours clearing... but he'd definitely count it! 

I'm grateful for the glimpses of grace I hope we have all seen these last few days, and I pray that we can embody that grace as we move through the days and weeks and snow piles ahead.

No comments: